× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE300 Nighthawk Network Options for Wired Connection

HoosierGuy88
Aspirant

RAXE300 Nighthawk Network Options for Wired Connection

I recently purchased the Nighthawk RAXE300 tri-band router. I was hoping it would improve my wireless download speed for a few gaming devices (Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5). It did not.

It seems like I will need to hardwire the devices but my router is not close to those devices. Are there any network extenders that also have Ethernet out, which will get my close to 1gbps download speeds on Ethernet?

I researched a bit and saw a mesh system with “satellites” but they do not appear to work with this router, only the specific mesh system.

In general, the router is in the same room as the systems i am trying to improve download speeds on, so WiFi strength should be fine. But to connect an Ethernet cable would require routing 100’ of Ethernet along baseboards around the room.

I have other devices in other rooms I would like to extend WiFi network to as well, so may need to purchase a few extenders.
Message 1 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Re: RAXE300 Nighthawk Network Options for Wired Connection

@HoosierGuy88 wrote:
I recently purchased the Nighthawk RAXE300 tri-band router. I was hoping it would improve my wireless download speed for a few gaming devices (Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5). It did not.

It seems like I will need to hardwire the devices but my router is not close to those devices. Are there any network extenders that also have Ethernet out, which will get my close to 1gbps download speeds on Ethernet?

I researched a bit and saw a mesh system with “satellites” but they do not appear to work with this router, only the specific mesh system.

In general, the router is in the same room as the systems i am trying to improve download speeds on, so WiFi strength should be fine. But to connect an Ethernet cable would require routing 100’ of Ethernet along baseboards around the room.

I have other devices in other rooms I would like to extend WiFi network to as well, so may need to purchase a few extenders.

Sounds like a powerline adapter would be a good solution for your application.  Go on to Amazon and do a search for Netgear Powerline Adapters.  There may be some users here that will provide some favorite model numbers.

The powerline adapter kits provide both Wi-Fi connections and Ethernet ports.

Message 2 of 8
HoosierGuy88
Aspirant

I have tried powerline adapters with my old router and it was worse than WiFi. Could only get 100mbps down, whereas with WiFi I get around 200mbps. I have 1gbps service, and when wired usually get close to that.
Message 3 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@HoosierGuy88 wrote:
I have tried powerline adapters with my old router and it was worse than WiFi. Could only get 100mbps down, whereas with WiFi I get around 200mbps. I have 1gbps service, and when wired usually get close to that.

Your experience is contrary to that of many.  The powerline extenders do not work well for everybody.  The quality of the home electrical wiring plays a significant role in the performance. I do not know how long ago your experience was, possibly newer design products have improved.

Message 4 of 8
HoosierGuy88
Aspirant

@Kitsap wrote:

@HoosierGuy88 wrote:

Your experience is contrary to that of many.  The powerline extenders do not work well for everybody.  The quality of the home electrical wiring plays a significant role in the performance. I do not know how long ago your experience was, possibly newer design products have improved.

Yeah - if anyone has any recommendations of powerline adapters that work well (or any way to extend the network) I am willing to try. It was only ~6 months ago when I tried a powerline adapter (believe it was Netgear branded). I did not have a Netgear router at the time, not sure if that matters really though. 

Message 5 of 8

@HoosierGuy88 wrote:

Older Powerline plugs have 100 Mbps LAN ports. Nowadays they are 1000 Mpbs or faster. That is faster than most wifi devices. But, as @Kitsap, says it depends on the local environment.

I wouldn't rely in Powerline for wifi. But they are a good feed for access points. I use it to create wired backhaul for an MS90 satellite from an MR90 router.

Message 6 of 8
HoosierGuy88
Aspirant

No, that will not work. I am looking to get at least 500mbps on the simple fact I am getting gigabit from the wall and it seems ludicrous to get only 200 from WiFi. It’s all about download size of updates / games. They are sometimes 100gbs + so only getting 200mbps download speed is painful. I’d love to get close as possibly to 1gbps without running Ethernet all around my house.
Message 7 of 8
HoosierGuy88
Aspirant

Only ~10 feet away. The problem is it’s a long but narrow room. So while physical distance from one side of the room to the other is short, to run cable around the room would be very lengthy. The other unfortunate part I didn’t realize is that the consoles cannot utilize the 6ghz band.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7