Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge mode and AXmode

Surfer10k
Aspirant

Bridge mode and AXmode

Hi everyone,

I have the Orbi RBR850 set (2 satellites)

My problem is the that my IP standard modem/router uses 192.168.178.x as its ip address base.

The Orbi uses 192.168.1.x

I have switched wifi off on the IPs modem/router. But it still generates ip addresses for equipment that is connected by ethernet.

I have tried switching off DHCP in the router itself but then none of my equipment is getting IP addresses anymore. EG the Orbi is not giving IP addresses to this equipment.

What I wanted to do is get the ORBI to hand out IP addresses based on 192.168.178.x But I cannot see how to do this in The ORBI. Is it not possible?

I think that another option would be to put the ORBI in bridge mode. It is essential though that AX mode not be enabled as this is creating problem's with some of my equipment. Eg Foscam IP camera and RIng doorbell

Any help would be appreciated.

THX

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Surfer10k
Aspirant

Re: Bridge mode and AXmode

I decided that getting into DMZ etc was a little above my paygrade 😁

I set the obi to AP mode. This solved my problem. The Orbi is still accssible via the app. and all of my devices are now on one network.

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

@Surfer10k wrote:

My problem is the that my IP standard modem/router uses 192.168.178.x as its ip address base.

The Orbi uses 192.168.1.x

I have switched wifi off on the IPs modem/router. But it still generates ip addresses for equipment that is connected by ethernet.

This is a classic case of "double NAT".

As you have discovered, two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local problems with address on your network. Among other things, the other router can misdirect traffic to addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual default IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP) with a wired connection to the main router. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

My NETGEAR or Orbi router is connected to an ISP gateway or another router, and it's causing double ...

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode.

I have switched wifi off on the IPs modem/router.

This does not disable the first router.

I think that another option would be to put the ORBI in bridge mode. It is essential though that AX mode not be enabled as this is creating problem's with some of my equipment. Eg Foscam IP camera and RIng doorbell

Not sure that bridge mode is available there. (That term means different things depending on the context.) Perhaps you mean AP mode.

Are you sure that these problems are not the result of the double NAT clash?

There is another option, put the Otbi into the "DMZ" for the anonymous modem/router.

Set the modem/router with a local IP address that does not clash the Orbi. (I opted for 192.168.2.1.) Then look at whatever IP address the modem/router has allocated to the Orbi and put that as the "DMZ" in your modem/router.

I left everything else untouched.

You will still be able to access the controls of the modem/router through its IP address while the GUI for the Orbi is still there on its local address.

Message 2 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Surfer10k ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would prefer to have all your devices on the same network which in this case is  ".178". Please switch your Orbi to AP mode and turn off the wireless signal from your ISP modem/router. Ensure that your modem/router is in router mode and using "DHCP".  This configuration will allow the modem/router to give the desired IP address to your end devices while using the Orbi extended mesh network for wireless signal coverage.  

(Please note to disable your wireless signal on your ISP modem/router, you may have to toggle a setting called "Disable SSID Broadcast.)

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
Surfer10k
Aspirant

Thanks. I am going to try the offered solutions and will the forum know what worked for me.

Message 4 of 7
Surfer10k
Aspirant

Sounds like what I am looking for. Will let you know how it worked.

thx

Message 5 of 7
Surfer10k
Aspirant

I set the obi to AP mode. This solved my problem. The Orbi is still accssible via the app. and all of my devices are now on one network.

Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 7

@Surfer10k wrote:

That's the easiest option, especially with Orbi routers. They don't have some of the fancy options of other kit.

Of the options available with two routers, I'd put them in this order of simplicity:

• Bridge mode for the modem router (not possible with some hardware)
  • AP mode for the second router (loses some of its features)
  • Second router in DMZ zone of first router (too complicated by far)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7