Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade router with Orbi RBR40

Ra2313
Aspirant

Upgrade router with Orbi RBR40

My existing modem is a C6220 (AC1200). I have an Orbi RBR40 and 2 satellites. My modem is not rated high enough for my internet service so I want to upgrade to CM700.  My Orbi is not supported by Netgear any longer. My thought is to save replacing my Mesh system is to get a new router and place that between my modem and the Mesh.

Will the Mesh still be able to use the satellites? Will the system work? I am trying not to but a new Mesh

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrade router with Orbi RBR40

What speeds are you paying for and who's your isp? 

It might be just worth upgrading the modem and keeping the orbi if its meeting your needs. 

Message 2 of 8
Ra2313
Aspirant

Xfinity  1200 down.

I also worry about security even though I do have Armor. I definitely want to have a router that will have firmware updates

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

the cm700 doesn't support multigig on xfinity. 

I'd look at getting one of the next gen devices that xfinity supports for your modem. 

knowledgebase/next-generation-internet - Comcast_Xfinity (reddit.com)

Message 4 of 8
Ra2313
Aspirant

Thanks. The reason I didn't go with a higher modem is the Orbi RBR40 only goes to 866mbps.  Would the Orbi/satellites work in the configuration I am suggesting? Chain     Modem- New Router-OrbiRBR40/satellites

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Even if you don't go multigig, you should still at least go to to docsis 3.1. That'll at least get you gigabit. 

And if all you're doing is the cm700, its pointless to upgrade the router as it'll have no problem handling the cm700. 

Message 6 of 8
Ra2313
Aspirant

WIll my RBR40 present a security issue since it is not supported any longer?

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ra2313 wrote:

WIll my RBR40 present a security issue since it is not supported any longer?

I think, "not especially."  No Netgear router accepts connections from the internet. Most vulnerabilities are from the LAN side and highly technical.  I do not lose sleep over the security of my 8 year old Orbi router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7