× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch ideal setup choice

Netswitch192
Follower

Switch ideal setup choice

Hello,

I have a gs308 standard unmanaged switch but will potentially get a nighthawk gaming switch if it will improve/minimize latency for my 2 son's desktop pc setups.

So I have a 500 up and down fibre connection and there is only 2 ethernet ports on the back of the router to use, which is downstairs in the hallway. My 2 sons are upstairs, regardless of using the nighthawk or generic Netgear unmanaged router, what scenario would give the lower/better total latency result by the end of the journey?

1) one cat cable from router port> upstairs to bedroom 1 into >switch then 2 separate cat cables going from switch>travelling to each PC.

2)1 cat cable from router> going directly to >PC in bedroom 1 and a second cat cable directly from second router port> upstairs into a >switch then a cat cable from the switch> into the second PC in bedroom 2

Either way I wanted a switch upstairs either way for additional future options.

Do the nighthawk switches (s8000 for example) aside from the QoS side of things generally allow packets etc to travel faster/more efficient than the generic Netgear gs308 just from a perspective of the nighthawk running without any managed settings on, as a makeshift unmanaged switch? Or spec wise is the nuts and bolts of it the same as the generic ones.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Switch ideal setup choice

Probably about the same. Depends also on router and ISP services as well. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series