× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Trying to extend range of Nighthawk MR6500

Southarda
Aspirant

Trying to extend range of Nighthawk MR6500

This mobile hotspot is my only Internet source (I am an ATT customer). The range is limited inside my house, so I and someone at the other end of the house cannot both stream Netflix. Which Netgear WiFi extenders will work for me? Also, I am a reasonable end user but know very little about networking. Thanks in advance for any help!
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

A couple thoughts/options.

The MR series hot spots have reduced wifi broadcast range set by the fcc. You can turn it to high performance mode and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'd look at picking up a mesh system before I'd go with an extender. Extenders by their very nature of how they work, cut the throughput (speed) of the wifi they're rebroadcasting 50%. This can be a significant hit when you're starting with a hotspot. You can get a mesh system like the Orbi or MK nighthawk and connect it to the MR's ethernet port. You'd just place the MR in passthrough mode. that makes it function as just a modem and not a router. It leaves the Orbi/MK functioning as router and satellites. Using a mesh system will both give you better coverage and will have a higher base starting point for the wifi. 

If you had to, you can use an extender. I'd recommend a triband extender (EX7500, EX7700, EX8000) as they have a dedicated backhaul that helps preserve throughput. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple thoughts/options.

The MR series hot spots have reduced wifi broadcast range set by the fcc. You can turn it to high performance mode and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'd look at picking up a mesh system before I'd go with an extender. Extenders by their very nature of how they work, cut the throughput (speed) of the wifi they're rebroadcasting 50%. This can be a significant hit when you're starting with a hotspot. You can get a mesh system like the Orbi or MK nighthawk and connect it to the MR's ethernet port. You'd just place the MR in passthrough mode. that makes it function as just a modem and not a router. It leaves the Orbi/MK functioning as router and satellites. Using a mesh system will both give you better coverage and will have a higher base starting point for the wifi. 

If you had to, you can use an extender. I'd recommend a triband extender (EX7500, EX7700, EX8000) as they have a dedicated backhaul that helps preserve throughput. 

Message 2 of 3
Southarda
Aspirant

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge so clearly!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7