× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6080 Router

Pscottb723
Aspirant

Netgear R6080 Router

Can someone Please help me?
I am not good at using a computer. But I’m here to ask for help to find out what websites my son is looking at on his phone through our router. I go to the website for the Netgear R6080 Router, select Administration, Then select Logs. And then that’s it. I don’t know how to go any further to find out the names of the websites in the Logs. Please help if you can before my boy does something foolish. Thank You Everyone.
Message 1 of 5

Re: Netgear R6080 Router

@Pscottb723 wrote:
I go to the website for the Netgear R6080 Router, select Administration, Then select Logs. And then that’s it. I don’t know how to go any further to find out the names of the websites in the Logs.

The logs do not record websites that people visit.

If you want to manage your son's use of the Internet, you'll need something more sophisticated. Unfortunately, that doesn't come free any more.

Netgear sells subscriptions to things like parental controls.

There are various types of parental controls with their own sections in this community.

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

or

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

There are probably other services out there.

Your router could be one problem. The R6080 is a pretty old and basic router. It may not support these servuces:

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Which products support NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is also slow. According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

Message 2 of 5
Pscottb723
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply back sir. Wow I didn’t realize that when I bought this router 1year and 8 months ago that it was going to be considered old so soon after. I just don’t understand why people and/or companies would tell me that I could access information knowing that I couldn’t. Great world we live in. But Thankfully there’s people like you. Thank You For Your Help In This Matter. It Was Gratefully Appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You're searching the logs isn't going to stop him from doing anything foolish or even slow him down. There's plenty of easy ways around that and as a young person, he's going to find them. Theres even built in ones on most phones/computers that are simple to use. 

A strategy would be talking to him about his searches and having open converstaions about it. 

here's a good article from washington state about it. 

Talking to your kids about inappropriate Web searches | Washington State

Message 4 of 5
microchip8
Master

You can change DNS servers to those of NextDNS and use its parental control feature. It also logs which sites are used/resolved, though the log does not report which device made the lookup
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7