× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do you log into the RAX54v2 Router?

How do you log into the RAX54v2 Router?

I received mny RAX54v2 Router today, set it up in WAP mode (Already have a Nighthawk XR1000 Gaming Router as my primary router) and got it all setup. Logged in several times with no problem by typing the address of the router... I can't use the routerlogin.net method because that sends me to the XR1000 everytime, so I have to enter their direct addresses such as 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.103 to log in. Anyway everything worked just fine.

Then a couple of hours later I wanted to log in to change the wireless channel and now it keeps sending me to a page telling me I must log into a Netgear account????  I don't WANT to have to log into an on-line Netgear account, I just want to log into my LOCAL router to make a simple change. I do have a Netgear account, and did enter it, followed by the Correct password only to be told repeatedly that "something went wrong".

So now I have a $200 router I can't log in to?!?!?

~Not a good design Netgear, in fact it's the kind of design that gets your products shoved back in a box and returned for a full refund while I go and buy from the competition who does NOT require me to have to log into some remote website to access my LOCAL router!

1. How do I get around this so I can log into my router to make a change?

-and-

2. How do I set this thing so it Never asked me to log into a remote website again just to access my local router when I need to make a simple change?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do you log into the RAX54v2 Router?

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RAX not connected to any Internet sources. What I did with mine. Still working. Ya, NG is aware of it. No idea if or when this will be fixed. 🙄

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

@SouthernGypsy wrote:

-and-

The key to your issue is that you have put it in to access point mode. By doing that you run into this pile of issues:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This is "as designed". The control of the network stays with your main router.

There are various ways into the few controls on the RAX54v2. They depend on knowing the IP address that the router has assigned to the AP. To find that, just go into the XR1000 and look for the list of Attached Devices. This will have the RAX54v2 in there somewhere. Look for its IP address and throw that into a browser. Then just login to the graphical user interface (GUI).

To avoid having to do that every time, you have two options. Reserve the IP address for the RAX54v2 on the router or give the RAX54v2 a Fixed IP address in its settings. (Netgear does not recommend this, for some reason.)

Then whenever you want to get in to the RAX54v2 use that IP address.

There are other options, but that should be enough for now.

2. How do I set this thing so it Never asked me to log into a remote website again just to access my local router when I need to make a simple change?

Not sure what that means.

If you are trying to use a mobile device to get into your access point, then another option is to use Anywhere Access. This uses Netgear's cloud service as a go between. With that active and set up you can make changes even when you are using the Internet nowhere near your home network

There is no remote "website" involved in this process. Just an Internet connection and the Netgear intermediary.

~Not a good design Netgear, in fact it's the kind of design that gets your products shoved back in a box and returned for a full refund while I go and buy from the competition who does NOT require me to have to log into some remote website to access my LOCAL router!

With luck they will do a bit of research before jumping to that conclusion, especially when they are using a device in a way that is a bit out of the ordinary.

They might also take up the offer of the 90 days of free support that comes with a new device.

Finally, they might also read the manual for the RAX54v2 and turn to page 106.

Tip: If the router is in access point mode or bridge mode and you do not know the IP address that is assigned to it, first try to use an IP scanner application to detect the IP address. (IP scanner applications are available online free of charge.) If you can detect the IP address, you don’t need to reset the router to factory default settings.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommend setting a static IP address configuration for AP mode on the RAX. So the IP address will not change and should be able to access the RAX any time using the static IP address you set on the RAX. I recommend 192.168.1.54. 

@SouthernGypsy wrote:

I received mny RAX54v2 Router today, set it up in WAP mode (Already have a Nighthawk XR1000 Gaming Router as my primary router) and got it all setup. Logged in several times with no problem by typing the address of the router... I can't use the routerlogin.net method because that sends me to the XR1000 everytime, so I have to enter their direct addresses such as 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.103 to log in. Anyway everything worked just fine.

Then a couple of hours later I wanted to log in to change the wireless channel and now it keeps sending me to a page telling me I must log into a Netgear account????  I don't WANT to have to log into an on-line Netgear account, I just want to log into my LOCAL router to make a simple change. I do have a Netgear account, and did enter it, followed by the Correct password only to be told repeatedly that "something went wrong".

So now I have a $200 router I can't log in to?!?!?

-and-

Message 3 of 8

Yes I'm aware of the features disabled by putting it into AP mode and those are OK, the problem was I couldn't log into it at all. And I did not need to search for it's IP address, I knew exactly whaty it's IP address was. I wasn't getting an error that it couldn't FIND it, I was getting an error AFTER entering my admin/password where it would load a Netgear webpage trying to make me sign in again on that page, only to tell me "Something went Wrong". I already had it set to a reserved IP address, set both in it and my main router the XR1000v2.

I finally called Netgear early this morning and they had me sign in by entering a fake email address on the log in page which for some reason allowed me in when my Registered email address/password kept telling me that "something went wrong", note it did not say I had the wrong PW, etc. but that "something went wrong". The tech said it's a known issue sometimes and once you log in once with a fake email address it seems to fix it. For some reason the router thought that setup was not complete (even though it was). Sounds like they have interface issues they know about.

And what I meant by logging in without connecting through their website is this router was not letting me log into it without also connecting to the Netgear website, I can setup Cisco and Linksys routers that are not even connected to the internet, they don't force you to connect to a website to set them up or sign in, but this one was. Seems like it may be some sort of way of trying to monitor your actities I guess.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, also a factory reset and setup from scratch stops that as well. 

Saw this on my RAX50v2. Something in newest version of FW is causing this. 

After I did a FR on mine, haven't seen this again. 😒

Message 5 of 8

Well this one is still letting me in now after several log ins so maybe entering the fake address once on their website fixed it. The page it was taking me to looks almost identical to the page to log into these forums, but without the line at the bottom with the extra compny info, etc. The tech even first had me log into their website by just typing www.Netgear.com and that worked fine and I could see my registered Netgear products (including this new router), but the page the router was loading even though it looked identical sans the line of info at the bottom of the screen just kept returning the red "Something Went Wrong. Try Again." banner. So that's when he said stay logged into their website in one window and in another try the router address again but after entering admin and my password when it takes me to the webpage just enter any made up email address/pw (didn't even have to go through the whole creating account process) and oddly that worked and as soon as I entered a made-up email address and pw and hit enter it took me to the routers OS page. He said it would keep working now, so we'll see. Odd that it had worked all afternoon and most of evening yesterday only to suddenly start doing it though.

I have an XR1000v2 and other than the very first time when you registered it during setup it's never taken me back to that webpage. Oh, and this one had also sucessfully completed the registering it step also in early afternoon as I was first setting it up and it did show on my netgear products page.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RAX not connected to any Internet sources. What I did with mine. Still working. Ya, NG is aware of it. No idea if or when this will be fixed. 🙄

Message 7 of 8

If it does it again I might but for now it's working and I'd rather not have to set it all up again. I don't trust the backup files to always restore everything perfectly so consider them an emergency resort even though I do have the backup file I created after I first got it setup and make a new one anytime I make a change such as last night when I wanted to log in to change the WIFI channel from AUTO to channel 11. 

That was the first hurdle with their Tech when I called in, he wanted to know What I was trying to log in to change and I had to tell him that what I wanted to change was Not the problem, it didn't matter WHAT it was I wanted to change, the issue was that I couldn't get back into the OS at all. Once he understood that and I described entering the routers address (192.168.1.103) and entered the admin and password that instead of taking me to the OS page it was taking me to a netgear webpage wanting me to sign-up or sign-in and when I clicked sign in it returned the error, and if I clicked sign up as soon as I entered my email address it told me I was already registered and to sign in instead, which again only returns me to the error. Finally he understood and once he did it only took him a moment of research to come back and say they know about it and to just enter ANY random made up email address and password on that sign-on in page but first open a new browser window, go direct to the netgear website, and log in normally to make sure my email/pw worked there and it showed all of my owned products including this router (which means it did sucessfully register it the first time I did it).

It's odd that entering a totally made up email address and password on the sign-in page does not return an error (like does not even tell you the email address is not registered) yet entering your actual registered email/pw returns an error every time.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7