Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20 Anywhere Access “device already registered”

berderking
Guide

LBR20 Anywhere Access “device already registered”

Hi,

Looking for help from netgear support. I’m trying to use anywhere access on my LBR20 and it says “this device is already registered” with an email that’s not mine. Thanks

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: LBR20 Anywhere Access “device already registered”

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Registration-and-Un-Registering-pro...

If that fails, you'll need to contact NG phone support and have them help you to resolve that:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Message 2 of 10

@berderking wrote:

Hi,

Looking for help from netgear support. I’m trying to use anywhere access on my LBR20 and it says “this device is already registered” with an email that’s not mine.

Is this LBR20 new or second hand?

Message 3 of 10
berderking
Guide

@michaelkenward 2nd hand and netgear says they can't help since I don't have the original receipt.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

A truly awkward situation. When the original owner who registered the product with Netgear got rid of it, they obviously neglected to "unregister" it.  If there was some way to contact the original owner, they could fix the whole thing in a few minutes.  Netgear, of course, is not going to provide the email address so that you can contact the person yourself.

Bummer.

I would think that the Orbi 'app' would not function with the router in any way.(not just Anywhere Access)

If the goal is to administer the Orbi system when not able to connect locally to the web interface, an alternative is to enable OpenVPN on the router.  See page 111 in the LBR20 User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/LBR20/Orbi_LBR20_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Doesn't need to be registered. Since the unit has already been thru a 1st owner and warranty has probably long expired. You can use it as is with out it being reg'd. 

Can try a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch using Orbi app and see if this can complete with the Orbi app connected and logged in to your NG account. Then see if AA works. I may not though. 

Message 6 of 10
berderking
Guide

@FURRYe38 i cannot use anywhere access without registration, that's the issue.

Factory reset does not remove it.

Message 7 of 10
berderking
Guide

@CrimpOn Actually everything does work in Orbi app except anywhere access....

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the explanation.  "new to me" as I had thought that the connection between Orbi 'app' and router was tied to the Netgear.com login used.  (i.e. if one Netgear login registered the product, then another Netgear login could not use the app with the router.)  This forum teaches me new things every day.

One of the things that catches some people is that the Orbi 'app'

• Can be installed on any number of user devices at the same time, and each can have different settings.
  • Can enable Anywhere Access only when the user device is connected locally to the Orbi WiFi system.
  • Some user devices can have Anywhere Access enabled and other devices not enabled.
Message 9 of 10
berderking
Guide

@CrimpOn  it’s actually my case, I have another couple of devices I have anywhere access on that I monitor through the orbi app.

I can connect to the LBR20 locally with no problem as well.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7