× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 970 - Stopped router crash by putting a USB fan on top

mapotter99
Star

Orbi 970 - Stopped router crash by putting a USB fan on top

I've been struggling with the last couple firmware releases, up to 9.11.1.1.  Every 4 days like clockwork, the router would go down and take my whole network with it.  It wouldn't restart.  I had to manually power cycle it.

After seeing on Reddit and on this forum that others had put a USB fan on top, I decided to try it. I put a 120mm PC fan on top so that the air is pulled up and out through the router.  I have been online for 8 days now, and my Orbi has been the most stable its been since I've had it.

I'm still having some roaming issues with my iPhone, but at least the network is staying online.

I hope this helps others, and helps the engineers figure out the cause for the overheating.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 970 - Stopped router crash by putting a USB fan on top

Thanks for letting us know. 

Something I keep on mine as well. 

@KevinLiT @Straq 

Can you post us the CPU and memory usage values seen on the RBRs debug page? router IP address/debug.htm

Do you have all features enabled like Access Controls, Armor, Guest Network, IPv6, SPC and Traffic Meter? 

Message 2 of 3
mapotter99
Star

Re: Orbi 970 - Stopped router crash by putting a USB fan on top

CPU Load: 8.29%

Available Memory/Total Memory: 1100 MB/1743 MB

I have NONE of those things enabled.  I do have the IoT network enabled with 2.4 GHz only.  Straq already has my network map.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7