× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX620 or WAX615

aks-2
Apprentice

WAX620 or WAX615

I am considering a new AP for home use (which I will mount on the ceiling and power via PoE+), with WAX610, WAX615 or WAX620 as options. Over the years, I have purchased several routers/AP's and of course used the ISP supplied routers, most recently I have the WAC124 (desktop model, UI is slow) and Zyxel NWA50AX (ceiling mounted, UI management is slow and logs are clunky to manage). I am certain all the AP's under consideration are massive overkill for number of devices, but I'm ok with that. I basically have several computers, TV's / streamers, phones / tablets, and a bunch of IoT devices like cameras, smart plugs and bulbs.

My main concern is wireless stability, which I know is tricky and influenced by many environmental factors. My house is not large (about 2000 sq ft across two floors), I am hoping a singe AP will cover, especially given that we 'survived' with a single ISP router for many years with only mild frustration (kids complaining) at times 😉!

I have browsed through the forums, and other sites, but I've been unable to satisfy some points:

• Locally managed UI responsiveness - I have a WAC124 and find it's UI quite slow
  • Bug fixes and security update expectancy - I don't expect any promises, so just your experience
  • Advantages or disadvantages of WAX610/615/620 (excluding price). I see some models are newer, but all are now about 2+ years old and may reach EOL soonish
  • Whilst the product numbers would suggest the WAX620 is the higher of these models, from what I can gather, the WAX615 is 'newer' - but they may not mean newer HW, just newer packaging or something.

In the past, I have liked the Netgear UI's, whereas I have not warmed to the Zyxel UI at all. I just want to change that out!

Thanks for sharing any experiences and thoughts.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Hello Tony,

Grab the WAX615 Data Sheet which includes some comparisons with the WAX610 and WAX620. Standing out on the WAX615 is the fact the 5 GHz radio is supporting 160 MHz bandwidth on 2x2. Its offering blazing 2400Mbps on 5 GHz, without the requirement for a capable (and rare!) 4x4 client. Small drawback is the 2.4 GHz radio which is "just" 600Mbps (mathematically exact it's slightly less than 575Mbps) similar to the WAX610) but sufficient for most 2.4 GHz usage, being in the IoT arena, or in the garden coverage. Considering many 2.4 GHz clients are note full AX, so don't make use of 4096-QAM, it's usage is typically more connectivity and availability area than in the highest speed on the 2.4 GHz band.

Wish you a wonderful Sunday evening!

-Kurt 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hello Tony,

Grab the WAX615 Data Sheet which includes some comparisons with the WAX610 and WAX620. Standing out on the WAX615 is the fact the 5 GHz radio is supporting 160 MHz bandwidth on 2x2. Its offering blazing 2400Mbps on 5 GHz, without the requirement for a capable (and rare!) 4x4 client. Small drawback is the 2.4 GHz radio which is "just" 600Mbps (mathematically exact it's slightly less than 575Mbps) similar to the WAX610) but sufficient for most 2.4 GHz usage, being in the IoT arena, or in the garden coverage. Considering many 2.4 GHz clients are note full AX, so don't make use of 4096-QAM, it's usage is typically more connectivity and availability area than in the highest speed on the 2.4 GHz band.

Wish you a wonderful Sunday evening!

-Kurt 

Message 2 of 3
aks-2
Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the quick response - on a Sunday too 😀!

I've ordered a WAX615.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements