× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Need specific antenna recommendation for MR1100 AT&T version

jon_brisbin
Aspirant

Need specific antenna recommendation for MR1100 AT&T version

I'm trying to make this MR1100 work in my home with the very spotty AT&T signal strength we usually get. We're not out in the middle of nowhere but for some reason, I have a really hard time getting a decent signal in the house. I'm looking into an external antenna and it seems like an omni-directional version is what I need but there's so many options and I know virtually nothing about cell technology even though I'm a software engineer by trade.

Is there some specific guidance anyone can give on what a known combination of equipment is that will work with the MR1100 on AT&T to get better signal? I realize there's all kinds of differences on terrain, situation, etc... but all that doesn't help me. Should I just wing it and go to Amazon and buy the first thing that seems sensible?

Jon Brisbin

Message 1 of 5
plus-sk
Apprentice

Re: Need specific antenna recommendation for MR1100 AT&T version

Hi Jon,

With the MR1100 you may use Netgear MIMO Antenna with two TS-9 Connectors.

Netgear Website: https://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/mobile/mobile-hotspots/mimo-antenna.aspx

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000450-MIMO-Antenna-Connectors/dp/B00DN3J03O

Yes, it's directional antenna, but fully compatible with modern Netgear mobile hotspots.

Message 2 of 5
nhantenna
Apprentice

@jon_brisbin 

1) if you are in town, you likely want omni.  you likely have multiple towers around you.  the nighthawk will automatically switch between the towers.  you can not control the switching.  yagi's are directional and are for greater distances.

2) you want line of site to your cell towers and up high above your roof.  be sure to ground the antenna.

3) you can purchase one antenna and see how it goes.  your nighthawk does NOT require two external antennas to operate.  adding a second antenna may have no benefits.

4) you want a wide band LTE antenna that covers all the bands in your area.

Message 3 of 5
jon_brisbin
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Very helpful.

Message 4 of 5
intofx
Guide

I purchase the xpol-1 ommi and so far its been great. I was getting 20mb dl connecting to band 12 now I connect to band 2 and get 40-70mb (with only 2 bars). 

I also made sure to get good SMA to TS9 adapters using RG316.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7