Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem

Nightprism
Follower

Modem

does netgear sell modems compatible with CenturyLink dsl, I'm a moron who bought a router without a modem? Bad online suggestions
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Modem

You better call your ISP and ask them which modem they recommend/support

(Yes, NETGEAR sells modems)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

You better call your ISP and ask them which modem they recommend/support

(Yes, NETGEAR sells modems)
Message 2 of 5

@Nightprism wrote:
does netgear sell modems compatible with CenturyLink dsl, I'm a moron who bought a router without a modem?

While @microchip8 is spot on, they didn't warn you that the market for DSL modems is effectively dead.

Most brands, including Netgear, have thrown in the towel. Maybe ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

So, start by asking the ISP or talk to other customers for suggestions. If you are forced to buy a modem/router, then it may be possible to use it in modem-only mode and the add whatever router it was that you bought..

Uh oh, a quick look at the CenturyLink site suggests that they recommend cable modem/routers for DSL. That doesn't make sense.

CenturyLink Compatible Modems | CenturyLink

Message 3 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

The Centurylink C3000 is ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL compatible and can be put in transparent bridge mode. The one thing I found that I had to do before putting the C3000 in bridge mode was set the VLAN id to 201, then put it in transparent bridge mode. After researching routers I decided to go with ASUS because they provide Trend Micro protection at no charge unlike Netgear's Armor by BitDefender which will cost you $100 dollars a year.

Message 4 of 5

@w3wilkes wrote:

The Centurylink C3000 is ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL compatible and can be put in transparent bridge mode.

Ah Centurylink C3000. Not the Netgear C3000, which is a cable modem/router.

For modem only ADSL, the DrayTek Vigor V166 looks like a good option.

Still being made. So, no competition with Netgear:

Vigor166 | DrayTek

Like Netgear's excellent DM200 it also offers limited router functionality. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7