Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

recommendation

gmullaaa
Follower

recommendation

I have the R7200 setup as a router and it is hardwired into my cable router.  I need to add a wireless range extender to the R7200.  I want one that will allow me to duplicate the wifi hotspot names so it will seamless transfer between the two devices.

What is the best product to use?

Message 1 of 3

Re: recommendation

@gmullaaa wrote:

I have the R7200 setup as a router and it is hardwired into my cable router. 

What is that "cable router"?

Is it a modem/router? If so, is the R7200 set up as an access point to avoid all the problems that you get with two routers?

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I need to add a wireless range extender to the R7200.  I want one that will allow me to duplicate the wifi hotspot names so it will seamless transfer between the two devices.

It isn't recommended, but you can give the extender the same SSIDs and passwords, but you will not get "seamless transfer". 

Whenever a wifi client moves from one source to another, it will have to negotiate the connection. (That's one reason why it isn't recommended to use the same SSID etc, because the device can get confused about which one it is talking to.) In reality, if you have decent wifi clients, they will  pick up the new signal pretty quickly and you may not notice any interruption as you move around.

Genuinely seamless transfer needs Mesh technology. That depends on the router and its "satellites", the extenders, talking to each other to manage the connection, which is beyond the capabilities of the R7200.

What is the best product to use?

Check the Mesh options here:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

or find an extender here:

WiFi Boosters & Extenders | Wifi Range Extenders | NETGEAR

Some of these provide a mesh like ability to use the same wifi credentials as the router. Pick one that can fill the gaps in your wifi coverage.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: recommendation

I'm a fan of the triband extenders. If you have the R7200, I'd look at the EX7500, EX7700, and EX8000.

Those are all triband AC extenders. 

But the question comes is it worth adding products to the R7200 with is an older mediatek based router? It isn't on the EOL list yet but I imagine it will be soon as all the mediatek routers from that era are on it. 

Might be better off to save a little more and invest in a mesh system. The AX renewed mesh systems were pretty cheap on black Friday and they tend to fluctuate quite a bit. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7