× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Reset DCHP Warning on Power Light After Fault has cleared

WAX214  Firmware Version: V1.0.2.3

This unit displays a blinking amber power light if contact with the DHPC service is lost.  The problem is the power light continues to blink amber even if the DHPC service is restored which means it can indicate the error long after it has gone.  There are many reasons the DHPC service could go down temporarily, for instance a device updating on the network infrastructure, so it would make sense if the Power Indicator returned to the normal green state once connection to the DHCP service is restored. 

Additionally it would be helpful if this error could appear in the devices error log.

4 Comments
schumaku
Guru

The WAX214 OEM definition for the amber power LED flashing is "System is booting or upgrading". Granted, the DHCP renewal will happen not after the lease expiry, but with in the lease active time. There are two timers, T1 and T2. T1 being smaller time than T2. T1 is the time at which client can start RENEW process. i.e, client can send RENEW at that time and extend the lease. If the client is not successful in renewing the lease with the server, it will broadcast the DHCP request (setting the IP to broadcast, so request will be send to all DHCP Servers in network) for rebinding. If any server can successfully cater this request, the lease will be extended with the server. No idea if this (the dhcpd falling back to broadcast) is the status indicated on the power LED, uncertain the LED is reset to normal state once the DHCP is reachable again...

thescouselander
Follower

That's not quite correct as far as I know.

As found on page 9 in the product manual here Essentials WiFi 6 AX1800 Dual Band Access Point Model WAX214v2 User Manual (netgear.com)

"Blinking amber: The firmware is being updated, or the AP cannot detect a DHCP server. "

The situation I have encountered is that my router occasionally reboots during an upgrade or whatever reason and that sets off the blinking amber light.  After that AP seems to work normally and DHCP services are available yet the blinking amber lights remains and I have confirmed this is not because of an upgrade or anything else.  

schumaku
Guru

My comment applies to the WAX214 ... not the WAX214v2. Two different pairs of shoes. The DHCP logic behind is the same however. Appears the WAX214v2 does not properly monitor and track the IP stack DHCP status, and does not update the power LED notification. Must be some oversight on implementation and testing.

thescouselander
Follower

Seems that way - sounds like a bug.  What's the likelihood of that being picked up from here?