× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

Wireguard for AX1800 WiFi Router (R6700AX)

Although the AX18000 has VPN support for Pure VPN, how about adding OpenVPN and Wireguard VPN support ?

I've had the router for 20 days, I'm content with it's functionality on the whole. That said, I had some issues with the setup due to the device wanting to do the setup on it's own. I'm a network engineer and would prefer a command shell from which to set things up. Preferences aside, it's doing the job quite well at this point.

Thanks, and looking forward to your reply.

Jeff-

4 Comments
schumaku
Guru

No idea where you have the impression from the R6700AX does only support Pure VPN. While there is no Wireguard support (to my knowledge on any Netgear device), the fine 4-Stream AX1800 WiFi 6 Router Model R6700AX User Manual does show on how you can use almost any OpenVPN client to connect to the R6700AX OpenVPN. p. 113 Use OpenVPN to Access Your Network

JeffRasy
Follower

@schumaku , Yeah, I spotted that later that day.. My primary request is for wireguard. I've got a Raspberry Pi running OpenWRT as a poor man's VPN gateway. Got wireguard working on it and the increase in throughput is quite impressive. Currently the only one using it is myself (at home) but I'd like to move 3 other users (family) to that tunnel, but the Pi isn't really meant to handle that kind of processing.. Speeds drop off pretty quickly when the wife starts playing WOW and the kids start streaming video at the same time. So I'm hoping I can offload the VPN to the router, where it should be. It's that, I buy something with more computational power and two dedicated gig interfaces. 

I appreciate the heads up on OpenVPN, since I probably muddled the waters by including that reference, but if I can get wireguard on the router I can move the Pi to something that won't get me gripes from the fam...(lol)

Jeff-

schumaku
Guru

Completely off topic here. An R6700AX is a basic consumer AX WiFi router, by far not part of Netgear Business Solutions offering. The VPN support is provided for a "dial-up" VPN, allowing to establish a secured OpenVPN based remote access.

No idea why you intend to push all your Internet traffic including streaming, gaming, and much more through a VPN connection. The R6700AX is clearly a budget AX router, has Gigabit Ethernet ports, and could serve a lot of bandwidth, some 800 Mb/s in both directions, on a transparent IP connection, but very unlikely if you want to VPN encrypt everything. 

JeffRasy
Follower

Yeah.. I know.. If I had the funds, I would have gone with something with a lot more horsepower. As to the reason for the VPN, we've had some issues with skiddies ("friends" of the kiddos) and since I work from home, I do my best to protect the client. Segmenting, moving my work laptops behind an internal firewall, etc etc. Plus, I was tired of paying the ISP a monthly fee for a POS router. Mash all those excuses together and you end up writing confusing requests to the new router company (lol).