× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS748T slow wire speed normal read speed

ajinc
Aspirant

GS748T slow wire speed normal read speed

Hello,

I have a network with a FVS336Gv2 vpn firewall router. Connected to the router is the GS 748T switch, no VLANS defined just using the switch to expand the network.

GS748Tv4 Boot Version  B5.2.0.4 Software Version  5.0.2.28 

2 server

15 pc's

10 ip phones

5 network printers

1 Synology NAS drive

Total 32 devices on network all connected to the switch no heavy traffic like streaming just email, web browsing, some downloads of pdf files noting big.

I noticed the BackupExec was running slow to the NAS topping out at ~14Mb.

I used a utility LAN Speed Test and did a test from the backup server to the NAS and my LAN speed was 21.10 Mbps write 403.91 - read.

I knew the write speed  could not be correct so I decided to do the quick fix and reboot the switch.

After rebooting the switch my backupexec job was running at 1800 - 2000+ Mbps ( this is normally the speed) and my LAN speed test reported dramatic speed increases writing to the NAS.

I thought that all was fixed but the next day I am right back to slow backups and speed test results, I reboot the switch but it made no difference. I rebooted the router but still no change.

I wanted to know if the guru's think the there is an issue with the switch because after the first reboot speed returned to normal, or that was just a coincidence and something else is going on because susequent rebooting made no change to network speed.

Thankls for any thoughts or ideas.

MMJ II

Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS748T slow wire speed normal read speed

Hi ajinc,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since the v5.0.2.28 is an old firmware version, I suggest you to do the firmware upgrade in a ladderized manner.   Upgrade the firmware from v5.0.2.28 to v5.0.2.33.  Then from v5.0.2.33 to v5.4.1.11  and so on until you reach the latest firmware v5.4.2.18.  Be reminded that its recommended to perform a factory reset on the GS748Tv4 after doing a firmware upgrade then reconfigure it from scratch.  Observe if same problem occurs after you have upgraded the firmware to the latest version. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS 748T slow wrie speed normal read speed

Hi ajinc,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
ajinc
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thanks for your time and effort.

I will be trying the resolution you offered but this is a remote site and I have to schedule a weekend (down time) when I can get this done, hopefully in the next week or 2.

Once done I will report my findings back, again thanks for your assistance.

ajinc

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ajinc,

Just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to upgrade the firmware of the GS748Tv4 to the latest firmware version then perform a factory reset on it and reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, what are your observations?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
ajinc
Aspirant

DanaA

Sorry for the delay, but I just got this done over the weekend.

Speed did not change, but I had to reboot the server and lo and behold my speed returned. I now have to determine if the switch ( where the speed problem corrected itself once with a reboot of switch) or server ( that corrected the speed issue this time around) is the culprit.

Thanks for your assistance.

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ajinc,

I appreciate your feedback.  I'm glad that the speed has returned.  🙂  With regard to this, it would be best to observe if same problem would occur.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ajinc,

I just want to follow-up if everything is still working fine.  If ever that everything is still working fine, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements