Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lutron multicast on PR60X with a bunch of GS752, GS724, MS108 switches

cm2934888
Aspirant

Lutron multicast on PR60X with a bunch of GS752, GS724, MS108 switches

I recently set up a network with 5 VLans managed with insight.  Everything works ok, except I have two Lutron Radio RA2 receivers that can't be discovered by the software running on a laptop.  I think it is because Lutron uses a super dumb multicast system and the switches are blocking the traffic.  I've been messing with the IGMP snooping, STP settings, etc and I think it's possible that it will never work because I do not see a place to disable the "block unknown multicast".  I don't really know what I'm doing and I'd be glad to pay someone to sort this out for me, or if anyone has a tip for letting the multicast blast unrestricted over a dedicated vlan and ssid like it would with an unmanaged switch please let me know.  Everything is managed with insight, and I do not want to get rid of insight if that is the only solution.  Another option is to get a cheap unmanaged switch to let the Lutron crap talk to each other and just plug the laptop into one of those ports to manage it (not ideal).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
cm2934888
Aspirant

Re: Lutron multicast on PR60X with a bunch of GS752, GS724, MS108 switches

I solved this by purchasing a cheap JGS516 unmanaged switch.  I plugged all three Lutron products into the switch and uplinked the switch to one of the router ports that is untagged for the dedicated Lutron VLAN.  I then use inter-vlan routing to access the main repeaters static ip with the laptop, and the repeaters can talk to each other with multicast without pissing off the managed switches.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

From what I think I read here, you have the R60X and a bunch of GS752, GS724, MS108 - so all models supported by Insight. What does make you so keen to kill the ICMP Multicast usage for this system? You don't want radio (audio) and more broadcasted to all the network devices, to all wireless access points, to all WiFi clients associated.

Admint, I have no expereience with this Lutron system. Yes, some oddities I've seen in the Lutron best network practices https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/networking_best_practices.pdf - like the need for static IP addresses assigned on these devices, probably done to operate independent from any DHCP servers and service.

Tell us a little bit more about the network, with not less than five (!) VLANs and subnets, or security zones; and where you expect the Lutron controller/notebook(?) to be operated. And all examples show the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet what might not make things easier and more transparent.

Message 2 of 4
cm2934888
Aspirant

Thanks, here is a screenshot of the devices and vlans.  There are three Lutron devices on their own vlan and I hope to contain the multicast traffic they generate to those ports and one dedicated ssid to manage the system from a laptop. 

Message 3 of 4
cm2934888
Aspirant

I solved this by purchasing a cheap JGS516 unmanaged switch.  I plugged all three Lutron products into the switch and uplinked the switch to one of the router ports that is untagged for the dedicated Lutron VLAN.  I then use inter-vlan routing to access the main repeaters static ip with the laptop, and the repeaters can talk to each other with multicast without pissing off the managed switches.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements