× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot login to admin page or get RAIDar working please help

Rushfreek
Aspirant

Cannot login to admin page or get RAIDar working please help

Hi,
I'm very new here and very green about using pc computers.
I purchased a Netgear readymade duo v2 RND2120 off ebay. It has 2x 2th hdd. I use Virgin Media for my broadband.
Had been advised to factory reset as the drives were sent to me with 37GB of photo's and documents. I of course do not need this and was advised to do a factory reset.  After completing this I cannot access the drive by logging. I n via the Edge web browser. I put the address in and the login box is there, but I cannot login. I put admin and put password or netgear1 without any success. I have also enabled smb.
What else can I try?
Have installed RAIDar but even that says that it cannot detect the nas drive.
Rapidly loosing what hair I have left...
kind regards,
Derek, Norfolk UK
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot login to admin page or get RAIDar working please help

To start with, I hope you are aware the Duo v2 is decades old, and might sill operate on ReadyNAS OS v4.x, unless somebody put an update to ReadyNAS OS 6 on it. What shows your RAIDar?

RAIDar data pxld.jpg

Different fixes, hacks and workarounds required either way.

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Cannot login to admin page or get RAIDer working please help

First off, if you have an RND2120, it most likely is not a V2.  AFAIK, Netgear didn't sell the V2 with drives, and the "120" part of the model number means it shipped with one 2GB drive.

I don't doubt you believe you bought a V2, as Netgear made a huge blunder in naming it and many used ones are sold misidentified.  Netgear had already used v2 and v3 (note the small v) to designate a small, inconsequential hardware change to the original Duo (which is now referred to as a V1) and put that on the thin sticker on the bottom of the NAS.  They later completely redesigned it, including an OS incompatible with the V1, and called it a V2.  The "real" V2 says so right on the front,  A V2 also has a centered rear fan the entire width of the NAS, where the one on a V1 is offset and smaller, and a recess for the power supply connection.

This is important because your issue is that that ancient NAS does not support TLS above V1 and TLS V1 has been depreciated in all modern browsers.  But how you can resolve that depends on which you actually have.  There is a patch available for a "real" V2, but the only ways around it for a V1 are to use an older browser or make a change such that it uses HTTP instead of HTTPS.

This subject is covered by dozens of posts already on the forum, and you can search for them (but use Google, not the built-in search, which is abysmal).  Or, if you confirm which version you really have, maybe somebody will post that information for you yet again.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Rushfreek wrote:

I purchased a Netgear readymade duo v2 RND2120 off ebay. It has 2x 2th hdd. 

AS @Sandshark says, likely it is really the original Duo, which is now generally called the v1.

You can tell by looking at the front panel (ignoring other labels):

• The original duo has "ReadyNAS Duo" on the front panel
  • The duo v2 has "ReadyNAS Duo v2" on the front panel.

Let us know which you have.

Note both are very old - Netgear stopped manufacturing the original Duo in 2011, and stopped manufacturing the Duo v2 in 2013.

@Rushfreek wrote:

Have installed RAIDar but even that says that it cannot detect the nas drive.

RAIDar should detect it - if you have internet security software running on the PC try disabling that.

Maybe also check to see if the NAS is showing up in your router's attached device list.

Message 4 of 8
Rushfreek
Aspirant

Thank you so much for replying so quickly.
I have attached some pictures of the nas drive. It does only say "ReadyNas Duo" but underneath it says RND 2120 v2 and a firmware version.
I hope this helps, as I love the drive, it is in excellent condition and it was bought from a charity auction so I don't like to complain.
As you will realise, I am useless when it comes to technical issues, so please be gentle with me 😊
Kind regards
Derek, UK
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Rushfreek wrote:

It does only say "ReadyNas Duo" 

This means it is the original Duo (and runs 4.1.x firmware).  The v2 in "RND 2120v2" just means it is hardware revision 2 of the original Duo.  Which I realize is very confusing.  Netgear's fault as @Sandshark explained.

The default admin password for this NAS is netgear1.  Accessing the web ui is a bit tricky, since the NAS only supports TLS 1.0 and most browsers now require TLS 1.2.  Internet Explorer works, as does Edge in IE mode.  You can also manually set Firefox security settings to allow TLS 1.0.   But since you are getting the login prompt, that is not your issue.

I am thinking that perhaps you used the wrong procedure for the factory reset.  Try again, following the instructions on page 16 here: 

Message 6 of 8
Rushfreek
Aspirant

Hi again,
I can now see the nas drive showing on my network, and I can open the folders which are empty as I did a full factory reset (by using the method you suggested, which worked first time so thank you 😊).
I put a tab on ms Edge to ie mode and entered my Web page http://192.168.0.60 but only states "cannot securely connect to this page".
I double checked that I was in ie mode, closed the browser and reopened with no luck. Then I tried the address with /admin/ added still no luck.
Regards,
Derek UK
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Rushfreek wrote:

I put a tab on ms Edge to ie mode and entered my Web page http://192.168.0.60 but only states "cannot securely connect to this page".
I double checked that I was in ie mode, closed the browser and reopened with no luck. Then I tried the address with /admin/ added still no luck.

You need to click through that security warning.  You do want to make sure you include the /admin.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements