× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confusing ReadyNAS Folder Navigation

Urban-Magilla
Follower

Confusing ReadyNAS Folder Navigation

I have a ReadyNAS 422 which shows up in two places in Windows File Explorer.  On my Win 11 machine, it's in This PC and also in the Network list of devices.  On an older Win 10, it's in My Computer and Network.  Expanding (or double-clicking) the Network ReadyNAS icon displays the folders/files exist.  All is good.  However doing the same under This PC (or My Computer) gives a much different result.  In this case I get a 'Browse Folders' folder, as well as a 'Music', 'Pictures' and 'Video' folder.  Then, for example, double-clicking Video gives 'All Video', 'Folders' and 'Recently Added'.  If you drill down into, say, All Videos I see some but not all the files that are actually stored on the NAS.  Even more troubling, some folders on the NAS do not show at all.

I am confused by the different presentation of file structures when exploring ReadyNAS from these two different entry points.  It seems that the This PC/My Computer entry point is trying to offer some kind of navigational overlay on top of what's actually stored on the NAS, but the fact that it omits files, and in some cases whole subfolders, it's difficult to see how this is helpful, much less useful.

Perhaps it's a configuration/setting error?? But it's happening on both a Win 10 and Win 11 machine.  BTW on my MAC, there is only the one NAS showing up in Finder and all the folders/subfolders are accurate.

Any explanation as to what's going on here, or perhaps the This PC entry point has lost sync with what's really on the NAS??

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Confusing ReadyNAS Folder Navigation

@Urban-Magilla wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS 422 which shows up in two places in Windows File Explorer. 

One entry is for the DLNA server built into the NAS, the other is for file access to the shares.

If you don't use DLNA to play your media (for instance on a smart tv), then disable the service in system->settings->services.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Confusing ReadyNAS Folder Navigation

@Urban-Magilla wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS 422 which shows up in two places in Windows File Explorer. 

One entry is for the DLNA server built into the NAS, the other is for file access to the shares.

If you don't use DLNA to play your media (for instance on a smart tv), then disable the service in system->settings->services.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements