× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I tell if my readynas is SPARC, ARM or Intel X86 based?

miogpsrocks
Tutor

I think I need to know in order to do the USB recovery option. 

Thanks. 

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: How can I tell if my readynas is SPARC, ARM or Intel X86 based?

The Pro Pioneer is Intel based.  But what makes you think a USB recovery is what you need?  That's only for units that will not boot after other possible solutions are exhausted.

If your NAS is converted to OS6, there is a special process for USB recovery not covered in the Netgear documents.

Message 2 of 4
miogpsrocks
Tutor

1. I have taken out each individual hard drive and connected it to my PC and ran Crystal disk info which showed up " good" 

2. I have run seatools Short generic test and it has passed. 

So a logical assumption are the individual hard drives are good I would think? 

3. The readynas some sometimes becomes available in which files can be access only for a short while then they will become unavailable. This type of spordic behavior of being sometimes working and sometimes not working lead me to conclude there is something wrong with the unit itself not the hard drives. 

What other option are you recommending before the USB option? 

Also, does the USB option run the disk of deleting the data on the disk? My understanding is this just flash the firmware on the unitl however when my data is concern, I would like to double check on this. 

Thanks.  

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@miogpsrocks wrote:

1. I have taken out each individual hard drive and connected it to my PC and ran Crystal disk info which showed up " good" 

2. I have run seatools Short generic test and it has passed. 

So a logical assumption are the individual hard drives are good I would think? 

I don't know what you did with Crystal Disk, but I don't put much stock in the short generic test (which is just the smart self-test).  It's really just a confidence test.  If it fails the disk is bad, but if it passes it needs more testing.

Normally I run the long test - and if the drive doesn't have data, I follow that up with the full erase test.  And I have still had a couple of drives that pass both those tests, and still have generated UNC or ATA errors in the NAS.

@miogpsrocks wrote:

3. The readynas some sometimes becomes available in which files can be access only for a short while then they will become unavailable. This type of spordic behavior of being sometimes working and sometimes not working lead me to conclude there is something wrong with the unit itself not the hard drives. 

There could be something wrong with chassis the (failing power supply, bad memory, etc), or there could be something corrupted with the OS partition on the hard drive.  But USB recovery won't solve either of those problems.

The USB recovery just re-writes the flash in the NAS.  That flash is normally just runs the boot loader - and the OS actually boots up from the disks.  The install image in the flash is only used to install the firmware onto blank disks.

So re-writing the flash won't help at all if the NAS boots.  And in your case it is booting - the problems happen later on (well after it's stopped accessing the flash).

@miogpsrocks wrote:

Also, does the USB option run the disk of deleting the data on the disk? My understanding is this just flash the firmware on the unitl however when my data is concern, I would like to double check on this. 

It shouldn't delete your data. 

As the KB article suggests, there is a small chance that you could do irreparable damage to the chassis.  https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements