× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I update Plex on 6.10.10 on RN516

rjacobsen
Tutor

How do I update Plex on 6.10.10 Firmware RN516?

Yes I searched the forums, today my Admin page said there was an update to 6.10.10 now the Apps upload is broken "App installation is no longer supported with App Upload or Available Apps." WTF!
I'm assuming I'm not the only one who uses the ReadyNAS platform for Plex, has anyone. figured out how to update Plex in the post 6.10.10 world?
Thank you

Message 1 of 16
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Re: How do I update Plex on 6.10.10 Firmware RN516?

Ya, I'm POed also.  WFT. Netgear just made my NAS worthless!!!  Why the F would they do this.  How am I supposed to update PLEX to anything else I have Installed?  The same goes for EMBY also.  

How do I go back to the last firmware?  I can't afford to buy a new NAS right now.  This one was working just fine until Netgear screwed it's users over.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a NAS that can handle 4K Plex transcoding, with 6 bays at least.  That is at least as good as a ReadyNAS 516/716?  That isn't out of this world.  ARM is out.   

Message 2 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

How do I go back to the last firmware? 

You can manually download it from here:

Then install it from system->settings->update (click on install firmware on the right) 

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

Something to keep in mind is the RN516 is EOL. Not saying you can't keep using it but it is a 7 year old device. 

I used to use a NAS for my plex server but noticed a huge performance jump going to a dedicated Plex server. 

A half decent newer Intel processor or an AMD/GPU combination makes a big improvement in transcoding performance. 

I found this plex transcoding cheat sheet worthwhile when adding a GPU. 

https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Something to keep in mind is the RN516 is EOL. Not saying you can't keep using it but it is a 7 year old device. 

A half decent newer Intel processor or an AMD/GPU combination makes a big improvement in transcoding performance. 

Personally I run Plex on a Win 11 PC, with the media saved on my RN526x.

Although it is more expensive to separate storage and applications, the benefit is that it is much easier to upgrade when they are kept separate.  For me that outweighs the extra cost.

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Personally I run Plex on a Win 11 PC, with the media saved on my RN526x.

Although it is more expensive to separate storage and applications, the benefit is that it is much easier to upgrade when they are kept separate.  For me that outweighs the extra cost.

My RN204 couldn't run plex decently. So it's just used for photo/kids data backup now. My Plex is hosted on a AMD 2700x with a 32tb raid array and an older nvidia 1060 for transcoding. Streams 4k without any issues. A bit overkill and the next upgrade will be for an intel for the quicksync capability. I guess its pretty rock solid with plex transcoding

Message 6 of 16
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I got the firmware fixed, but it completely screwed up my NAS.  It uninstalled DOCKER and so my Docker apps no longer are running and trying to install Docker fails!!!  I am so mad.  I've lost so much data because of Netgear!!!  Completly uncalled for.  I don't know what to do at this point.  

My Desktop PC is older that my NAS and still works great.  My NAS was working just fine before Netgear screwed it all up.  I am just so pissed!!!

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

I got the firmware fixed, but it completely screwed up my NAS. 

Do you mean you downgraded to 6.10.9?  If not, I suggest doing that next.  After that, re-apply the apt config changes that are documented here:

See post 37, it has links to the files you need to change.

Message 8 of 16
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Ok after downgrading the firmware to 6.10.9.  I went to the link to pointed out and message 37.  Then I edited the created the files needed easily using the Windows app "WinSCP".  It makes things a snap.  Docker CLI was then able to install once again.

Though my Docker apps were not running and I guess those containers gone?  I was able to pull updated versions, and create the containers once again and all my settings were still there.  I'm once again back up and running.  I got those 4 docker apps running once again.

I'm thinking about running all this stuff on a Mac Mini M1.  4 Low power and 4 high power CPU's and a good GPU.  I'm hearing some good things for 4K transcoding.   So I may end up going that route.

Still, a firmware update should specifically warn you that it is no longer allowing you to install any new apps and in fact is automatically uninstalling software.  Why is that?  First off, this shouldn't happen in the first place.  Let alone no clear big box WARNING on what is going to happen installing this firmware.  

It's firmware to make your ReadyNAS almost worthless. What is next for 6.10.11. firmware?  Deleting all your files and locking you out completely?  At least we have some help here to fix things. That is a big PLUS.  But it should never have been done in the first place.

Message 9 of 16
mawcasa
Tutor

Hi,

Updates are a process to fix problems, not to kill a product line. If there's not a easy/quick fix to this problem, it will be a 10k problem to replace 2 x RN516. Maybe a lawsuit or maybe common sense will prevail! Or dose anyone have another fix to issue. Thanks 

Message 10 of 16
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Ya, the firmware did nothing to fix problems.  All it does is lock you out of installing any more apps and purposely uninstall your software.  WTF is that?  Luckily, I was able to get my NAS back to where it was before this so called update.  But they wasted my time doing it and my software not running for a few days.  I don’t get why Netgear would do such a thing?

Do NOT install 6.10.10. Hopefully everyone sees this before it’s too late!!!  How many other Netgear NAS’s is this being done on?

Message 11 of 16
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

You may also want to double-check that on the Settings tab you have turned off automatic OS  & HotFix updates (and set the update option to Long-Term-Support).

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mawcasa wrote:

Or does anyone have another fix to issue. Thanks 

It should be possible to restore the working apt config from 6.10.9 (and then just use ssh to install packages.

Netgear appears to have removed https://apps.readynas.com/ (though it might just be a temporary down server issue)

FWIW, I think it was good to fully remove readycloud from the NAS firmware.  But I'd rather they'd left the apps alone (as they have so far with 4.x and 5.x add-ons).

Message 13 of 16
bmfb1980
Aspirant

I laugh at the millenials and younger... you fully believe you must always buy the latest and greatest things... and you wonder why you have no money?  I'm sorry but until the devices just quit on their own, they will have their uses.  I don't need to transcode 4k.  1080 HD/SD is fine for me.  If I want perfect quality, I'll buy a BRD.  There is NO way I'm buying more HDD and desktops and laptops and all the crud they force you to buy when they deliberately make older things obsolete.  I also don't stream ANYTHING and you are foolish to pay for any streaming service.  BUY your music then you OWN it.  Nobody can take it away because of some licensing squabble with an streaming provider lol... sorry I'm just as annoyed at NETGEAR as everyone else.  Guess I won't be buying any of their products also... tired of having to replace them every few years for no reason at all other than they won't make anything backward compatible.  Peace out.

Message 14 of 16
fidelisoris
Aspirant

I'm absolutely shocked they locked out the manual upload for apps. I understand why they want to shut down the online app service, but to hamstring the manual uploads in the process is just ridiculous customer treatment.

I was already unhappy that NetGear is dropping the NAS products, and was expecting to have to go to a competitor in due time... but to then insult us with this latest firmware is just the cherry on top. NetGear is now on my bad list.

Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Other than for updates that don't need updated dependencies from the Debian distribution, uploads would already fail unless you made changes via SSH that potentially (though, IMHO remote and an acceptable risk for a home system) open up the NAS for malicious content.  So instead of it giving an error and the operator not knowing why, they did this.  So, it is actually understandable, even if you don't agree it's the best way to do it.  Netgear is certainly never going to make a change that allows unverified content to be loaded, as that could open them up to litigation.

What doesn't make sense to me is to also cause it to not be able to load apps via SSH, where you'd have to knowingly make and accept those changes.  Even worse is that it seems to affect some already-installed apps, like Docker, though that may have been inadvertent due to insufficient testing (which Netgear has always been guilty of).

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 39 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements