× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NFS Path for Windows Application

anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

NFS Path for Windows Application

Hi , I have to give a NFS path to my application to store data on to the ReadyNAS 516 . What is the default path to enter to access the path ?
Tried /c/sharename ... Does not work . Had enabled NFS on the options tab .
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Under System > Volumes in the Dashboard you will see the name of your data volume. The default name is "data". I think if you have enabled NFS on a share the path would just be "sharename" though.
Message 2 of 12
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

Will it be /data/sharename ?
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you would be sharing the share sharename over NFS not the entire data volume, so I would try "sharename" (no quotes)
Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Of course you also need to have an NFS client installed on the Windows machine. It isn't installed by default.
Message 5 of 12
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

One of the IP Camera has option to record to a NFS Path , Camera console asks for the the same and when i test connection , it does not connect .
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps the IP camera vendor can give you some help on the path syntax it wants.

There are several possibilities. One is nfs://server/sharename (per RFC 2224)
Message 7 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Realise this is a bit of an old post, but I have discovered that OS 6 behaves differently to 4.2.x with respect to nfs paths:
I have a Dune HD media player that is accessing video files on a Readynas Ultra 6 plus using this syntax:

nfs://ipaddressofnas:/sharename:/pathinshare

With NFS on OS6 on a 316, this syntax was not successful at reaching the relevant files.
The syntax I need to use is:

nfs://ipaddressofnas:/c/sharename:/pathinshare

For some reason the volume label is required, even though nfs is enabled for the share and access rights are identical to my Ultra6+
Message 8 of 12
jmirabil
Aspirant

I thought you solved my issues with this:
-------
With NFS on OS6 on a 316, this syntax was not successful at reaching the relevant files.
The syntax I need to use is:

nfs://ipaddressofnas:/c/sharename:/pathinshare

For some reason the volume label is required, even though nfs is enabled for the share and access rights are identical to my Ultra6+
------
But my 316 Readynas on OS 6 wont take this syntax or anything close.. wierd---any other suggestions??? I'd like to use NFS ; I have SMB wokring, but NFS should be much faster....
and I am using a Dune HD media player, hence why I thought you had the exact syntax I needed...
I am asked for a
servername
and a
sharename
separately, if it matters...
THx!
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

The syntax is for the dune, not the NAS.
There is a mistake - the default volume name is data, not c.
Message 10 of 12
jmirabil
Aspirant

You're exacttly right.. thanks! Dune HD player is working with ip address in top field, and /data/sharename in the second field - perfect. Works via udp and TCP, whether the NFS share is set to read only or R/W.
Incidentally this is exactly what Eric in Netgear Customer Support told me to do in a parallel inquiry - thx all.
Message 11 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Yes. I changed my volume name to c, default is data , sorry.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements