× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OSX machines constantly disconnect from ReadyNAS

dtarin
Luminary

OSX machines constantly disconnect from ReadyNAS

I have several OSX machines in my network and every single one of them has issues losing connection to the ReadyNas while in use.  Someone will be browsing the drive via SMB and then suddenly the connection will drop. While the users can easily reconnect, it is supremently annoying to be browsing and then have to reconnect.

OSX: 10.15.7

ReadyNAS firmware: 6.10.

Does anyone else have this problem? 

I attempted to restrict the SMB version on ReadyNas to SMB 3.0.2 via the SMB Plus app.  I noticed it will not connect if I restrict it to 3.1 or greater.  Do I need to use an SMB version less than 3.0.2?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@dtarin wrote:

I attempted to restrict the SMB version on ReadyNas to SMB 3.0.2 via the SMB Plus app.  I noticed it will not connect if I restrict it to 3.1 or greater.  Do I need to use an SMB version less than 3.0.2?

I'm not a mac user, but I believe you can see the version of the SMB that your macs are actually using by entering smbutil statshares -a in terminal on the mac. (I suspect that will only work if the Mac is accessing a NAS share).

If SSH is enabled on the NAS, you can also see this info by entering smbstatus there (when the Mac is accessing a share).

Once you know the minimum SMB version used by your devices, you can restrict the server with SMB Plus.

@dtarin wrote:

OSX: 10.15.7

ReadyNAS firmware: 6.10.

You might want to try 6.10.3.  Though it might not help your main problem, there are some fixes needed for TimeMachine.

@dtarin wrote:

I have several OSX machines in my network and every single one of them has issues losing connection to the ReadyNas while in use.  Someone will be browsing the drive via SMB and then suddenly the connection will drop.

Again, I'm not a Mac user.  I am seeing some reports of this happening with Catalina with various file servers (including Synology NAS btw).

One suggestion I saw on Reddit was to disable "allow disk to sleep" on the Mac. no idea why that would help - but it apparently did solve the problem for that person, and it would easy to try.

Message 2 of 6
dtarin
Luminary

Thanks for the info. 

I am running 6.10.3.  Typo on my original email!

I'll turn off the allow disk sleep on a couple of the macs and leave it unchanged on the others.  I'll monitor the increase/decrease of complaints. 😃

As for smb status: This is is what comes back for all the connections.  Anything to be concerned about here?

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
SMB_VERSION SMB_3.02
SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK
SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE
EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE
UNIX_SUPPORT TRUE
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE
OS_X_SERVER TRUE
DFS_SUPPORTED TRUE
FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED TRUE
MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED TRUE

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@dtarin wrote:

As for smb status: This is is what comes back for all the connections.  Anything to be concerned about here?

Nothing to be concerned about, but it does confirm that OSX is using 3.0.2.  That explains why removing that protocol verison with SMB Plus resulted in failed connections.

Message 4 of 6
dtarin
Luminary

I haven't heard any complaints about the server from people who's machines who now have put drives to sleep option as off.  It may have done the trick.

I'll continue monitoring but that little change seems promising.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@dtarin wrote:

I haven't heard any complaints about the server from people who's machines who now have put drives to sleep option as off.  It may have done the trick.

Good news, thank you for the update.

Unfortunatley, Apple does after decades not get a reliable proprietary SMB client implementation on thier proprietary OS to the field. Leaving SAMBA towards thier proprietary protocol implementation wasn't helping much (as expected) - except for adding even more non-transparent things to the user base. Almost every update does lead to new tiny issues and oddities - and this happened the second time in the year 2020 already now.

@dtarin wrote:

I'll continue monitoring but that little change seems promising.

Let me come back to the idea of manually tweaking the ReadyNAS (or any other SAMBA based NAS) protocol requirements.

Leaving AFP alone, MacOS does only offer cifs and smb. Using

smb://server/public

does lead to

smbutil statshares -m /Volumes/public/

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED

SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
SMB_VERSION SMB_3.02

So this is the highest common protocol version negotiated between Apple's SMB client and the NAS. Using

cifs://server/public

does lead to

smbutil statshares -m /Volumes/public/
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ONLY
SMB_VERSION SMB_1

So SMB 1.0, the legacy "CIFS" version.

What makes sense on a NAS - permitting there are no legacy clients on a network (!!!) is to put the minimum version to v2 or v3.0 so no old protocol weaknesses can be abused by sniffing the traffic, or denying using unsigned or whatever feature.

What does not make much sense is to limit the highest v3 protocol version. Unless there are specific issues where an SMB client can't deal with the highest SMB version available on the server, leave it up to the NAS to offer the best possible protocol version. One day any SMB protocol or client OS maker does decide that say 3.02 isn't good enough, so you have to take admin actions again.

Leave the highest available to the SMB protocol version negotiation between the SMB client (Windows can, MacOS can, ...) and the NAS.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements