× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro Pioneer power supply died. Can I use the same HD array in a RN316?

dabmd
Aspirant

Pro Pioneer power supply died. Can I use the same HD array in a RN316?

My Pro Pioneer power supply died and I am having trouble finding a replacement.  If a purchase a new RN316 can I simply load the 6 disks and have it work without losing data?

Model: RNDP600E |ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@dabmd wrote:

... I could load the disks and then backup from the new RN316, then reformat the disks and restore the backup?

Yes.  There is more information here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29957

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@dabmd wrote:

If a purchase a new RN316 can I simply load the 6 disks and have it work without losing data?

Not quite.

The RN316 will mount the volume as read-only,so you can copy off the data.  But the RN316 uses a completely different file system, and will have to reformat the drives.

Message 2 of 10
dabmd
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen.  So if I understand correctly, I could load the disks and then backup from the new RN316, then reformat the disks and restore the backup?

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dabmd wrote:

... I could load the disks and then backup from the new RN316, then reformat the disks and restore the backup?

Yes.  There is more information here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29957

Message 4 of 10
dabmd
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.  Exactly what I needed to know.

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's also worth noting that some users at their own risk have bought a replacement PSU and extender cable to get their Pro units back up and running. There are some suggestions on what to get on the community.

However if there are more hardware problems than just a bad PSU replacing the PSU may be a waste of time.

Message 6 of 10
dabmd
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.  So I purchased the RN316 and loaded the disks.  The Readynas continually says booting (maybe I am inpatient?) and although my files seem to be present I get the following error if I try to activate any services (like NFS): "The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. media DigitalDocument iTunes backup
[Sun Nov 6 16:30:39 EST 2016]".

Here is a screenshot of the home page of the RN316: Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 8.27.02 AM.png

Do you have any idea what I should do?

Message 7 of 10
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dabmd,

As you mentioned that your "files seems to be present"; are you able to copy it out of the NAS?

On the link the StephenB provided, it indicated that "The method to bring the data online inside the ReadyNAS OS 6 device only allows for the data to become accessible to be copied to an alternate location". Not sure if you have options to change the services since the drives and chassis are really running on different  OS'. I think this part  generally just gives you a way to copy your data out of the NAS then format the NAS so that the drives will be loaded with the OS6 firmware then copy your files back to the NAS.

Regards,

Message 8 of 10
dabmd
Aspirant

No.  The files are not accessible because the readynas cannot find the proper path for me to mount the shares

Message 9 of 10
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dabmd,

It appears the issue you have described requires assistance from the engineers and/or higher tier who can remote in to the NAS and fix this from the backend. It shows on your records that you still have support warranty, I suggest contacting support center and can get one of the engineers take a look at it.

Also, please register your RN316 at my.netgear.com for the warranty verification.

Regards,

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements