× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS 212 Fails to Complete Setup

RichardB56
Tutor

Ready NAS 212 Fails to Complete Setup

ReadyNAS 212 2-bay

I had drive failures. I was able to back up my data to another NAS.  I installed 2 4TB SSDs and want to start for scratch.  I started RAIDar app.  At first it found the NAS and the drives.  Got to about 1% when I get an error message that RAIDar cannot find the device on the network.  I check my router network and see it on the network.  I tried factory reset through the boot menu but does not seem to be working.  How do I factory reset and setup?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@RichardB56 wrote:

After a minute the power light blinks and the Drive1, Drive 2 and back light blink but power light first and then the others. Flashing back and forth.

Does the status match one of these patterns:

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1  - Vendor mismatch
2  - No disks detected
3  - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4  - Flash error
5  - Unsupported RAID configuration

@RichardB56 wrote:

I have connected the SSDs to my PC and they are working.

That said, your symptoms sound like they might disk-related.  Did you run a full disk test?

@RichardB56 wrote:

I tried accessing the NAS through the browser using the IP and get asked for a password that I do not have.  I tried 'admin" without a password but it does not work.  

The default admin password is "password".

FYI, manuals for your NAS are here:

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@RichardB56 wrote:

ReadyNAS 212 2-bay

I had drive failures. I was able to back up my data to another NAS.  I installed 2 4TB SSDs and want to start for scratch.  I started RAIDar app.  At first it found the NAS and the drives.  Got to about 1% when I get an error message that RAIDar cannot find the device on the network.  I check my router network and see it on the network.  I tried factory reset through the boot menu but does not seem to be working.  How do I factory reset and setup?

Start by powering down and remove the drives.  Then confirm that RAIDar sees the NAS when it is diskless.

If you haven't tested the drives in a Window PC, then that would be good thing to try also.  If you remove the partitions from the Windows Disk Manager before you put them back in the NAS, it will automatically do a factory install when it powers up.  Maybe start with just one drive, and then hot-insert the other after you have the NAS set up.

Message 2 of 7
RichardB56
Tutor

I tried the NAS without the disks and I can see it on the network.

I added one SSD to The NAS. Performed factory reset and almost immediate get all 4 lights blinking.

Running RAIDar it starts.  I get system starting message then I get the failed network connection.

I manually deleted the volume of both SSDs.  Inserted 1 SSD and started normally.  After the power light stopped blinking I ran RAIDar and states "Healthy".  Hot install of the second SSD did nothing.  Controlled shut down the NAS and then restarted.  After the power light stopped blinking I ran RAIDar again.  It showed 2 drives "Healthy" but does not start setup.  I tried accessing the NAS through the browser using the IP and get asked for a password that I do not have.  I tried 'admin" without a password but it does not work.  It seems to be working but not accessible.  

I tried factory reset. After initializing the power light and drive 1 light came on (with drive 2 off) then power light and drive 2 came on (with drive 1 off).  After a minute the power light blinks and the Drive1, Drive 2 and back light blink but power light first and then the others. Flashing back and forth.

What next?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RichardB56 wrote:

After a minute the power light blinks and the Drive1, Drive 2 and back light blink but power light first and then the others. Flashing back and forth.

Does the status match one of these patterns:

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1  - Vendor mismatch
2  - No disks detected
3  - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4  - Flash error
5  - Unsupported RAID configuration

@RichardB56 wrote:

That said, your symptoms sound like they might disk-related.  Did you run a full disk test?

@RichardB56 wrote:

I tried accessing the NAS through the browser using the IP and get asked for a password that I do not have.  I tried 'admin" without a password but it does not work.  

The default admin password is "password".

FYI, manuals for your NAS are here:

Message 4 of 7
RichardB56
Tutor

Success

Concerning the lights, the power light would alternate with the other 3 (driv 1, drive 2 and Backup) steady blinking.  I believe this may have been the system booting after being reset.  I think I was not giving the device enough time to boot.  The last time I did a factory reset I left it for an hour and the lights came on as normal.  With the provided password I was able to access setup and complete.  The NAS is up, operational and accessible.  

Running RAIDar show up and it is syncing.  I'm not sure what it is syncing on.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It's not syncing "on" anything.  It's syncing the drive contents to form a RAID.  That's necessary, even with empty drives.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It's not syncing "on" anything.  It's syncing the drive contents to form a RAID.  That's necessary, even with empty drives.

In your situation, the RAID would be RAID-1 (mirrored drives).  So the NAS is copying one drive to the other during the sync.  The RAID array is a virtual disk, which then has the BTRFS file system installed on it.   So the sync is agnostic to the file system (and operates the same way on a full volume as it does on an empty one).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements