× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Nas 314 - WOL failing and device not turning on when power restored

JPElectrical
Aspirant

Ready Nas 314 - WOL failing and device not turning on when power restored

Until a year or so back, my ReadyNas 314 would respond to:
1) Wake on Lan.
2) Auto power up upon mains power restoration.

This was perfect as when the office power was switched on in the morning, the unit would automatically start up and be ready to used within minutes.
For some reason the unit will no longer do this. The unit will however start manually by the power button on the unit front.
Beyond this, the unit is running fine with the latest firmware... Updated today to 6.10.08.

I also have a second ReadyNas Unit, however that unit will WOL and auto power on when mains power is restored (also with the same firmware).

Please can anyone advise what may be causing this issue?

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas 314 - WOL failing and device not turning on when power restored

@JPElectrical wrote:
Until a year or so back, my ReadyNas 314 would respond to:
1) Wake on Lan.
2) Auto power up upon mains power restoration.

This was perfect as when the office power was switched on in the morning, the unit would automatically start up and be ready to used within minutes.For some reason the unit will no longer do this. 

Can you let us know if WoL also fails with 6.10.8?

How are you shutting down the NAS at night?

Message 2 of 7
JPElectrical
Aspirant

WOL does not work on the 314 even with the latest firmware.

Both NAS Units are powered off either by several presses of the power button, or if left on, the unit will switch off automatically at 3am via the inbuilt software power timer... Following this at 3.10am mains power automatically switches off to the unit via a
timer. This inhibits the unit from automatically turning back on again due to the poorly designed built in power timer which doesn't allow discrete off and on timers.

My other unit is a ReadyNas Ultra 4. Same firmware. Works fine.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JPElectrical wrote:
This inhibits the unit from automatically turning back on again due to the poorly designed built in power timer which doesn't allow discrete off and on timers.

FWIW, Current firmware does allow you to schedule discrete off and on power events.

event.png

Not clear to me whether the two RN314 issues are hardware or software (note I don't have that model NAS).  I did check that WoL is working properly with 6.10.9 on my own NAS. 

I guess you could try 6.10.9 

Or maybe downgrade to whatever you were running before you installed 6.10.8

Message 4 of 7
JPElectrical
Aspirant

I didn't know the timer did that. I put a request in for this functionality about 6 or 7 years ago as the unit would automatically start at the begining of the timer block. I then built a power off work around to stop the unit powering on if we didn't need the drive for a few days... Thanks for this. The drive is now set to shut down only.

I'll test the firmware shortly and get back.
Message 5 of 7
JPElectrical
Aspirant

Sadly, updating the firmware didn't help... also it's been so long and so many firmwares. I have no idea when it stopped working. I'd not know what firmware to go back to.
Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

When your NAS is off but still plugged into a live outlet, is there any activity on the LAN port of the NAS or the switch/router to which it's connected?  Is the LAN connected to a "green" switch/router?

Power on, whether by button, WoL, or mains power application relies on the +5VSB (5 volt standby) power within the NAS, whihc is the only power that's on when the NAS is "off".  I'm having trouble figuring out how some of the functions it powers seem to work and not others if that is the problem, but it's one possible factor.  But another, for WoL at least, may be a "green" switch, which adjusts it's output based on a perceived need by the device, which may be providing too low a signal for WoL.  If you changed a switch or router, that could be it.

I've noticed (based on LED indicators) that the LAN seems to be set at 10Mbps when the NAS is "off" and waiting for WoL, which makes sense to conserve power and reduce heat build-up (since the fans are all off).  That could be the trigger for a green switch not performing right.  Or, if you have a 10GB switch, it may not support 10Mbps.

If power-on with mains power application is a side function of the WoL system (intentional, or not), maybe that does also explain a change to that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements