× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Seagate ST5000DM000 - anyone using it??

NZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seagate ST5000DM000 - anyone using it??

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS 10400-100 (RN104)

I bought the Seagate Expansion 5TB USB drive, I want to take out the internal disk and use them in the NAS.

Is anyone using this hard drive in the NAS, does it work?  It's not on the compatibility list so I need to be sure it works before opening it.

The external drive is a LOT cheaper then buying an internal.

Thanks

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NZ,

Another community tried using this with a ReadyNAS OS6, however, he was using a 300 series which definitely has a higher specs and processor compared to 100 series. Please see this discussion.

Although HCL does not have ST5000DM000 listed, you may try but that is at your own risk. Drives that were tested are on the HCL, the ones that were not listed are not compatible and not tested ones. The disk may or may not work and if it does work, there is no guarantee as that is not on the list.

Hopefully we get a community member respond to this topic who can share his/her experience.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
NZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I called Seagate many times and was told STEB5000200 has a normal ST5000DM000 SATA drive inside.

After purchasing and formatting the USB HDD I started getting errors when trying to "erase" the drive in SeaTools. strangely the drive keeps becoming partitioned when I've done nothing to do this, I can't delete the partition! 

More worryingly Seagate have now said the HDD can't be used as an internal drive and the firmware stops this. They said it only works as an external USB HDD as it only works with the circuit board inside the USB case.

Has anyone used this as an internal drive in the NAS?

😞 😞 😞 😞

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements