× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow reshaping normal?

Calinoz
Aspirant

Slow reshaping normal?

I'm totally new to the ReadyNAS system, in fact to the NAS system but I'm learning fast. I purchased 2 x 3tb WD red drives with the RN10400 two days ago, had no trouble inserting them. Syncing took place and was finished within a reasonable time. No data was entered or transferred at this stage. Yesterday I decided to add another 2 x 3tb drives making up the 4 x 3tb drives, that way I wouldn't have to fiddle around adding at a later date when I had data added.

At this stage it has been reshaping for approximately 21hrs and is still only on 42%. I still haven't added any data as I don't want to confuse it (?) or slow it down.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal? Would it have been quicker to do a factory reset? I checked my admin page and it tells me I have 2.72tb free from 2.72tb. The same as before I added the extra 2 x 3tb. Does it have to finish the reshaping before the new capacity registers? All 4 drives are lit up in blue on the front.

I really appreciate any replies and apologize in advance if the answers to my questions are elsewhere. I did read where reshaping can be slow but couldn't find anywhere which tells me what it should be.

Carole

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Slow reshaping normal?

Hello Callinoz,

Welcome to the community!

When you already data stored and you want to expand volume, it should be done by inserting one disk at a time. You might want to read this article.

In your case, since you have not transferred any data yet to the NAS, it is much better to factory reset with all the disks you want to use it with. It will format the disks that are inserted and create a volume with XRAID by default, but you can change it once done.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Callinoz,

Welcome to the community!

When you already data stored and you want to expand volume, it should be done by inserting one disk at a time. You might want to read this article.

In your case, since you have not transferred any data yet to the NAS, it is much better to factory reset with all the disks you want to use it with. It will format the disks that are inserted and create a volume with XRAID by default, but you can change it once done.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
Calinoz
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer, plus the link which is much appreciated.

Carole

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements