× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: new windows 10 computer cannot connect to ReadyNAS 102

plwcinc
Aspirant

new windows 10 computer cannot connect to ReadyNAS 102

ReadyNAS 102 is visibile to new windows 10 computer but I cannot access the drive.

Other Win 10 computers work just fine.

Network Sharing Settings:

- Turn on network dicovery

-- On auto setup

- Turn on file and printer sharing

- Allow Win to manage homegroup

- Guest or Public

-- Network discovery

--- Turn on network discovery

-- File and printer sharing

--- Turn on Fil and printer sharing

-- All Networks

--- Turn off Public folder sharing

--- Use 128-bit encryp

--- Turn on pswd protected sharing

These setting are the same as my other win 10 computers

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Check that the PC workgroup is the same as the NAS - note workgroup is set separately from the PC homegroup.

If that doesn't change things, then try running CMD and entering

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real IP address and nas admin password.  If you use flexraid, use the real volume name instead of "data".  Be careful on typing, especially slash direction and spaces.

The first command ends any open network sessions - it if prompts for confirmation, let it proceed.  The second command mounts the NAS data volume as drive letter T (which requires using NAS admin credentials).

Let us know if this is successful (and if it isn't, what the result is).

Message 2 of 14
plwcinc
Aspirant

Did not work

System Error 53

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

And the workgroup matched?

Is this over wifi or ethernet? If wifi, is the network classified as public or private?

Message 4 of 14
plwcinc
Aspirant

Private Wifi

How do I verify the workgroup?

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

On the PC, right-click on "this pc", and you will see it under the computer name.

On the NAS, it's configured on accounts->authentication in the admin web ui.

If it still fails, try disabling any internet security software (including the windows firewall) that was bundled with the PC.

Message 6 of 14
nickjames
Luminary

@StephenB, I feel like I'm running into a similar situation and I'm getting close. All my machines are on the same workgroup except for my work's domain laptop. The work domain laptop is the only device I can't connect with. When I'm home, I'd like to get to my NAS but I'm not able to do so. Obviously the workgroups don't match up.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make this work in this configuration?

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

One thing you could try is change the workgroup to match the domain name on the work computer.

It is possible this is related to your company's security policies though.  I have to be logged into our corporate VPN in order to use SMB on my work laptop. They allow NFS access though.  That policy is enforced by the Symantec Endpoint Protection software that's running on the PC.

Message 8 of 14
nickjames
Luminary

I'm still not able to access my NAS - the IT department is saying that its not related to group policy. I should be able to connect without any problems. I havne't tried NFS yet only because I thought it was "slower" (hearsay) The workgroup does not match but as a test, I changed another Windows 10 workgroup to something other than WORKGROUP and it still connected up fine. So I'm not 100% convinced that is the issue. Again, I can ping it and log into it from the WebUI but SMB is not working. There is no endpoint protection prohibiting SMB access either. In terms of changing the workgroup on the NAS, how would I do that? Change it from local users to Active Directory? Any risks in this?
Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@nickjames wrote:
There is no endpoint protection prohibiting SMB access either. In terms of changing the workgroup on the NAS, how would I do that? 

In the web ui you select "accounts", then the authentication page.  You'll see the workgroup setting there.

@nickjames wrote:
Change it from local users to Active Directory? 

Don't do that.

Message 10 of 14
nickjames
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@nickjames wrote:
There is no endpoint protection prohibiting SMB access either. In terms of changing the workgroup on the NAS, how would I do that? 

In the web ui you select "accounts", then the authentication page.  You'll see the workgroup setting there.

@nickjames wrote:
Change it from local users to Active Directory? 

Don't do that.

If my laptop is joined to a domain, how can I get the ReadyNAS to be on the same workgroup? One is joined to a workgroup and the other a domain. From my understanding it can't be both.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@nickjames wrote:

If my laptop is joined to a domain, how can I get the ReadyNAS to be on the same workgroup? One is joined to a workgroup and the other a domain. From my understanding it can't be both.

This isn't an issue I'm facing now.  But I have run into issues in the past when setting the workgroup name on the NAS to match the domain name helped.  Generally my PC wasn't logged into the domain when I accessed the NAS (since I was not on our corporate network), and it was some years ago (before Windows 10).

It might not help you, but it is easy to try.

Message 12 of 14
nickjames
Luminary

Hey StephenB, thanks for the assistance. I guess that is where I'm confused - I'm not sure how to have matching workgroups, if my laptop is on a domain and my ReadyNAS is on a workgroup?

Also, I took packet capture on the device when accessing the NAS and I don't show anything leaving the laptop. This makes me believe that it is group policy related because if the NAS were at fault, we would at least see the traffic arriving there but we aren't.

At this point, I'm going to reach out to IT again.... standby! 

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@nickjames wrote:

Hey StephenB, thanks for the assistance. I guess that is where I'm confused - I'm not sure how to have matching workgroups, if my laptop is on a domain and my ReadyNAS is on a workgroup?

You are over-thinking it. If your domain is happygolucky, then just set the workgroup on the NAS to happygolucky.

@nickjames wrote:

Also, I took packet capture on the device when accessing the NAS and I don't show anything leaving the laptop. This makes me believe that it is group policy related because if the NAS were at fault, we would at least see the traffic arriving there but we aren't.

At this point, I'm going to reach out to IT again.... standby! 

I agree that you should see some traffic leaving the PC.  In addition to double-checking with IT, you should confirm that the network connection on the PC is configured as private.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements