× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Fun" with snapshots not deleting

xcom923
Aspirant

"Fun" with snapshots not deleting

Hey everone I'm clearly new and I've been trying to not post unless I really need help. Here is my situation. I am moving from a 4 bay NAS to a 6 bay 316 (really love it so far...if I could only get utorrent working...but that's another post). I ran out of space during the transfer since I'm having to move drives over as I move data. The 900GB of data that I previously had on the readyNAS is no longer needed since I can easily get it again, but the 2TB of data I still have left to transfer is not so lucky. Originally I had deleted the data and then I found that it didn't matter because of the snapshots. Then I just up and deleted the entire share thinking that without the share there wouldn't be snapshots (since the snapshots were inside the share folder) but that didn't seem to do anything. So I attempted to re-create the folder I deleted hoping I could regain access to the snapshots but now I just don't know where to delete them and it's taking up pretty much an extra TB that I need to finish my transfer.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
xcom923
Aspirant

Re: "Fun" with snapshots not deleting

I ended up scrubbing (I couldn't balance and scrub at the same time) it errored while doing it but by the time I saw that the space had returned. I guess ultimately it was a waiting game. I guess snapshots have a set expiration

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You delete snapshots from the admin web ui.  Select the share there, then recover.  Select one or more snapshots (identified as dates), right-click and you will see a delete choice.

Message 2 of 6
xcom923
Aspirant

normally, yes. But I deleted the entire share and now I no longer have that option

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps a balance will solve it.

Message 4 of 6
xcom923
Aspirant

I ended up scrubbing (I couldn't balance and scrub at the same time) it errored while doing it but by the time I saw that the space had returned. I guess ultimately it was a waiting game. I guess snapshots have a set expiration

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@xcom923 wrote:

It might take a while for all the snapshots to be deleted.  

Once they are deleted, btrfs needs to reclaim the space.  Sometimes a balance is needed for that that happen.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements