× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

setting up a RND2000

Silton
Aspirant

setting up a RND2000

Just picked up a second hand RND2000 as a backup NAS. I plugged it in with ethernet to discover on RAIDar. It didn't show up so I tried to factory reset it using the manual on the website. the front is now showing this light code with all lights, ' - - . . . ' I cannot find what this means in the manual. can anyone help me with this issue? 

Thanks, Silton. 

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: setting up a RND2000

Either you have no disks installed, or there is an issue with the chassis.

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

Message 2 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

I have 2 Samsung 1tb drives installed with no data formatted in NTFS. all 4 lights are flashing. What does 'bad contents on root partition of disks' mean? I saw it working before I bought it so there should be no issues. How do I get it to be discovered in raidar when it isn't appearing?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Silton wrote:

What does 'bad contents on root partition of disks' mean?

It means that the NAS is seeing partitioning, but nothing it can boot from.

You can try doing a factory reset from the boot menu, however the details generally depend on what model of NAS to you have.

Does yours say "Duo" on the front panel, or does it say "Duo v2"?  Ignore the back panel labels.

@Silton wrote:

How do I get it to be discovered in raidar when it isn't appearing?

What version of RAIDar did you install?

RAIDar uses a simple discovery protocol using UDP broadcast packets.  If you have the windows firewll (or internet security software) running on the PC, then you should try disabling that software.  Also, some wireless networks will block broadcast packets, so you might find it works better with ethernet than wifi.

Message 4 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

It has just readynasduo on the bottom right. 

I have the latest version from the Netgear website. I have it plugged into a switch which my main computer is attached to. I disabled my Bitdefender but didn't touch my windows firewalls. 

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Silton wrote:

It has just readynasduo on the bottom right. 

Ok,. that's a Duo v1 that runs 4.1.x firmware.  You can do a "factory reset" using the boot menu, as described on pages 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf 

That particular ReadyNAS is limited to 2 TB drives.

@Silton wrote:

I have it plugged into a switch which my main computer is attached to. I disabled my Bitdefender but didn't touch my windows firewalls. 

Most likely it is the firewall.

Message 6 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

Thanks, I think I have initiated a factory reset. The power button is flashing and a solid light on disk led 2. how can I tell I have started it and when do I know when it has completed the factory reset?

Okay, ill try it after. 

Message 7 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

I've left it since the last message and no change in the lights. Any idea on what happened? 

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I'm not sure.  RAIDar would of course help, have you tried that again?

The paper-clip reset procedure is clumsy.  An alternative way to force the reset is to power down, and remove the NTFS partitions from the disks.  You can do that by zeroing them, or by removing the partitions with windows disk manager (right clicking on every "volume" and deleting it).  Then put the disks back, and power up.  It should do a fresh factory install after a delay of about ~10 minutes.

Are these disks SSDs, or are they old mechanical disks?  I don't recall seeing any poster here who has used this NAS with SSDs - so it might also be a compatibility issue.

Message 9 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

yes disabled my windows firewall. this is what it says. http://prntscr.com/k63tim

I will remove the partitions and try again. 

They are Samsung 103sj 1tb 7200rpm mechanical drives. 

Message 10 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

I have removed the partitions and booted back up and I'm just seeing the lights flash error code 3. RAIDar is also still saying corrupt root. 

I tried factory resetting it again and looked back at the RAIDar and the status is gone. there is a button saying setup. I click it and a window that says your Netgear storage is not accessible from this computer. 

Message 11 of 13
Silton
Aspirant

My NordVPN software was messing with the firewall and prevented the RAIDar from working. 

I don't know how or why it decided to work. The server is currently syncing and I'm just going through the setup wizard. 

Thank you for your help! if I have any more issues I will reply on this thread.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Great.

If you are using Windows 10 you'll need to enable the CIFS 1.0 client on the Windows PC.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements