× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I am looking for a list of NAS that run os6

triplemaya
Aspirant

I am looking for a list of NAS that run os6

I am looking for a list of NAS that run os6.

I have googled at length and not been able to find this.

Looking to run BTSync on the NAS.

As far as I can tell netgear are more or less unique on this, unless of course I appropriate a linux box.

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The simple answer is that all the ReadyNAS products on netgear.com (other than the support pages) run OS6.

Desktop models are the RN100, RN200, RN300, RN500 and RN700 series.  There are rackmount products also - let us know if those are relevant to you.

Message 2 of 14
triplemaya
Aspirant

Thanks. I was looking to buy a used one. I have a buffalo which works fine, but I want to use the btsync. Not looking to weigh out hundreds of pounds to keep my collection of files synced to the nas!

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@triplemaya wrote:

Thanks. I was looking to buy a used one.

There is no warranty and no support available if you buy used.  Just something to keep in mind.

Message 4 of 14
triplemaya
Aspirant

Thanks. But where can I find the list of the ones I actually want to buy?!

Besides, one would assume the warranty and support would transfer if the product is still within the warranty period.

Message 5 of 14
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Message 6 of 14
triplemaya
Aspirant

Thanks. However, as I understand it, all the new models run os6 or better. So I already have this information. I am after a list of all models that run (or can run) os 6 so I can get the functionality I want,  and try out ReadyNas in action, without splashing out for a new box, which is quite expensive.

Message 7 of 14
ohiomedic
Aspirant

Amazon has the RN314 listed for $377 right now. They are out of stock at the moment but you can still add it to the cart. When you go to the page it show as more from a 3rd party seller, but just look on the right hand side and you should see the one for sale by amazon. At least I think that is a good price it was more the last time I looked.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Attached-Diskless-RN31400-100NAS/dp/B00BO0MG02/ref=sr_1_3?ie=...

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@triplemaya wrote:

Besides, one would assume the warranty and support would transfer if the product is still within the warranty period.

It does not.

Message 9 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

All Ultra and Pro models will run OS6.  The NV, NV+ (V1 or V2), Duo (V1 or V2), and NVX will not.  Running OS6 is not officially supported, so nothing is to say that some upgrade won't simply stop working right.  If you have no existing NAS's with which to maintain compatibility, the newer models (which are also available used) are probbaly a better choice.

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

All Ultra and Pro models will run OS6.  

That is a good point, esp. if you are planning to buy used.  There are no warranty/support implications, since Netgear simply won't provide software support for used systems, and the warranty doesn't transfer.

I agree that a used RN300 or RN500 would be safer.  So far developers have kindly fixed OS6 platform bugs for ultra/pro during beta.  But there is no guarantee that will continue.  The older models should be cheaper though.

Message 11 of 14
triplemaya
Aspirant

Many thanks. This seems like what I needed. When you say 'the newer models' do you simply mean the current models available from Netgear?

Message 12 of 14
triplemaya
Aspirant

Thanks everyone. The main objective is to just try out using BTSync as a solution. Provided I get along with it and it works as I hope I can always invest in a more expensive up to date, and no doubt more reliable, solution later on.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@triplemaya wrote:

Many thanks. This seems like what I needed. When you say 'the newer models' do you simply mean the current models available from Netgear?

Newer models: RN1xx, RN2xx, RN3xx, RN5xx, RN7xx - All current desktop ReadyNAS families.  All OS6 platforms introduced since 2013 are still shipping.

Older models: ReadyNAS Ultra, Pro (which ship with 4.2.x firmware, but can be upgraded to OS6)

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements