× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID 5 to Flex-RAID problems

OldSchoolRPGs
Aspirant

RAID 5 to Flex-RAID problems

I'm trying to switch from RAID 5 to Flex-RAID. I've backedup my data to an external HD and performed a Factory Reboot. I then used RAIDar to connect so I can change the RAID during the "10 minute window" I've read in all the guides, but I never get this window to change it. It goes right into Volume Resync and after 7 or so hours I'm left with RAID 5 again.

I can't just delete the volume because apparently you need multiple volumes to do that according to this guide:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23132

This is the guide I was using that talks about the 10 minute window:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=425

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm just trying to setup my NAS in JBOD but I'm having a helluva time figuring it out. My model is the 316.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RAID 5 to Flex-RAID problems

You can switch to flexraid now, and then delete the existing volume.  You don't need to wait for the sync to finish.

Then of course create the jbod volumes you want.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
OldSchoolRPGs
Aspirant

Just tried doing the Factory Default by holding reset and powering on the NAS. Got the 10 minute window the guide was talking about but RAIDar didn't give me the option to change the RAID. It just said "Installing" under status. After the 10 minutes it went right back to RAID 5 and is now resyncing.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You can switch to flexraid now, and then delete the existing volume.  You don't need to wait for the sync to finish.

Then of course create the jbod volumes you want.

Message 3 of 4
OldSchoolRPGs
Aspirant

Thanks. I guess the stuff I was reading was a bit outdated. Got it working fine now!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements