Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN Set up, reserve two ips for same max address R7000P

Newtech888
Aspirant

LAN Set up, reserve two ips for same max address R7000P

I am setting up a couple apps, servers, etc, on my local network.

For connectivity and additional security, and organization, I decided to reserve individual ips for each device that should connect to my internal network using the MAC address. Also have control panel to block new connections automatically.

Some of my devices are able to request and use two ip address for added bandwidth.

I am unable to reserve a second ip without overriding the first ip for the mac. I don’t see any other option. I have experience in the field, but I am starting to get out of my zone of expertise.

Is it possible on a consumer level router to do this? Or do I need to consider prosumer level hardware? If anybody has any additional tips on improving security I would also appreciate it. Thanks.
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

Re: LAN Set up, reserve two ips for same max address R7000P

@Newtech888 wrote:
Thanks, I will reconsider, but my router has two ip addresses for the same mac address in the list of connected devices.

Have you checked that?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies

@Newtech888 wrote:

For connectivity and additional security, and organization, I decided to reserve individual ips for each device that should connect to my internal network using the MAC address. Also have control panel to block new connections automatically.

Reserved on the router or fixed on the devices?

I am unable to reserve a second ip without overriding the first ip for the mac. I don’t see any other option. I have experience in the field, but I am starting to get out of my zone of expertise.

You want to use the same IP address for different devices? Or some devices to use two IP addresses?

When doing this sort of thing, I leave Mac addresses to the router and rely on the IP addresses to manage connections.

If anybody has any additional tips on improving security I would also appreciate it. Thanks.

Do you have any reason to suspect that you have security holes that need blocking? It is very easy to get paranoid about security and to do things that actually break a network.

Message 2 of 13
Newtech888
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for answering,

Split up my response for each clarifying question.

1) I used the router as a dhcp server to assign IPs automatically. But I noticed that some devices had switched ips. Eg, device 1 had …1, device 2 had …2. On restart they switched. I have not setup a fixed static ip on the devices themselves yet. Wanted to get the router first. The devices, are set to get an auto ip from the router, so it looked like a good start. Some have fixed static, but mostly on vms.

2) yes I have some devices that can connect with Ethernet and a WiFi at the same time. The router provides the ip address for each connection. But it does not allow me to reserve two IPs for one MAC address. Intel Killer Ethernet, is the service that supports this.

3) yes and no. Like I mentioned I have experience, but mostly as dev with basic to intermediate network knowledge. I’ve been monitoring my network and researching to get a better understanding. There are two areas of concern.

A) I’ve found unrecognized MAC address connected to my network. All I have is control panel telling me that they are blocked. But I’m not sure how they were able to connect to my network. I’ve updated the password on multiple occasions. The modem, router, and WiFi. I’ve also seen several attempts to access my network from other mac addresses but were blocked, from my logs.

B) I’ve found multiple dos attacks on my logs. The ack, I’m pretty sure I know what they’re for a service that I am testing and they look fine. But I’m also getting fin. Which I’m read are real attacks, but old practices/methods.
Message 3 of 13
microchip8
Master

Not supported, at least not on consumer NG routers. Can't have the same IP pointing to 2 different MACs
Message 4 of 13

Deal with the problem. Not someone's idea of how to fix it.

@Newtech888 wrote:
B) I’ve found multiple dos attacks on my logs. The ack, I’m pretty sure I know what they’re for a service that I am testing and they look fine. But I’m also getting fin. Which I’m read are real attacks, but old practices/methods.

If that's the problem, you may want to step back and think about the best way to tackle it.

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

Message 5 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@Newtech888 wrote:
Hi, thanks for answering,

Split up my response for each clarifying question.

1) I used the router as a dhcp server to assign IPs automatically. But I noticed that some devices had switched ips. Eg, device 1 had …1, device 2 had …2. On restart they switched. I have not setup a fixed static ip on the devices themselves yet. Wanted to get the router first. The devices, are set to get an auto ip from the router, so it looked like a good start. Some have fixed static, but mostly on vms.

2) yes I have some devices that can connect with Ethernet and a WiFi at the same time. The router provides the ip address for each connection. But it does not allow me to reserve two IPs for one MAC address. Intel Killer Ethernet, is the service that supports this.

3) yes and no. Like I mentioned I have experience, but mostly as dev with basic to intermediate network knowledge. I’ve been monitoring my network and researching to get a better understanding. There are two areas of concern.

A) I’ve found unrecognized MAC address connected to my network. All I have is control panel telling me that they are blocked. But I’m not sure how they were able to connect to my network. I’ve updated the password on multiple occasions. The modem, router, and WiFi. I’ve also seen several attempts to access my network from other mac addresses but were blocked, from my logs.

You may want to re-visit your conclusion that your connecting device has only one MAC address.  Most modems and most computers have multiple unique MAC addresses.  Usually one for an Ethernet connection and one each for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi radios.

Message 6 of 13
Newtech888
Aspirant

It’s the opposite, I need two IPs for one MAC address.
Message 7 of 13
Newtech888
Aspirant

Yes I’ve done this. That’s how I know that the ack types are fine. They’re coming from the right sources. It’s the fin scans. I’ve looked up the IPs and they’re coming from places like digital ocean or incapsula. I know what both of these are. I just don’t know why they would be accessing my network like that. Unless it’s a bad agent.

Not sure why you mean by

Deal with the problem. Not someone's idea of how to fix it.

But that’s what I’m trying to do.
Message 8 of 13
Newtech888
Aspirant

Thanks, I will reconsider, but my router has two ip addresses for the same mac address in the list of connected devices. It clearly shows me which one is Ethernet and which one is WiFi. Do you know why the router is doing that in this case?
Message 9 of 13

@Newtech888 wrote:
Thanks, I will reconsider, but my router has two ip addresses for the same mac address in the list of connected devices.

Have you checked that?

Message 10 of 13
Newtech888
Aspirant

Yes, my router betrayed me. Must have been late, but yea they are clearly different MAC address.

I’ve realized that it was complaining about the device name, not the mac. I thought that it was just a basic label.

Thanks. This fixed my main issue.

I’ll have to open a separate ticket for the rest. I might not be explaining myself correctly.
Message 11 of 13

A useful tool when trying to analyse a network is Netgear's hidden desktop genie, especially its network map.

Geniemap.jpg

Click a device in that map at it reveals more details. It can even throw up a clickable link for devices that have their own GUI.

Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility, but for the time being you can find it here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress. It still works in Windows 11. No idea about Macs/

Message 12 of 13

@Kitsap wrote:

@Newtech888 wrote:

You may want to re-visit your conclusion that your connecting device has only one MAC address.  Most modems and most computers have multiple unique MAC addresses.  Usually one for an Ethernet connection and one each for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi radios.

That's the point I wanted to make.

I should have added that to my "start with the problem" I suggested.

See if you can play with IP addresses and don't worry about MAC addresses.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7