Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7350 and R6300 WiFi is faster than Ethernet

chickenwing100
Aspirant

R7350 and R6300 WiFi is faster than Ethernet

I have a 500mbps plan. I have my R7350 as my Router and it is connected to my R6300 which is set up as an access point with a cat 6 cable. Both give up to the 500 speed on WiFi but when I connect any device to them with Ethernet it only goes up to 300. I am using cat5e and cat6 to connect those devices. I did factory reset the R7350 but the problem is still there. I'm not sure this is normal because Ethernet should always be better than WiFi.
Message 1 of 11

Re: R7350 and R6300 WiFi is faster than Ethernet

The usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the devices?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 11
chickenwing100
Aspirant

R7350 is on V1.2.0.92_1.0.1
R6300 is on V1.0.2.80_1.0.59
Modem Model is ES2251 from spectrum it's just a regular modem, no lan ports on the back
Message 3 of 11

They are up to date.

Have you been through the setup process methodically? Reset each device and restart things in the expected order.

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You should also check that the cables are good with decent connections.

Start with the router and sort that out before worrying about the access point.

How are you testing wired speeds? That is another link in the chain that can cause problems.

Message 4 of 11
chickenwing100
Aspirant

I tried this I unplugged everything everything reconnected fine except my r6300 which is my access point when I plug it back in the power light flashes green(I'm pretty sure it's bricked because it's old). I decided to use the Ethernet cable that connects from router to my PC and I get the full speed so I think it was my access point causing the problem so I will buy a new one.
Message 5 of 11

@chickenwing100 wrote:
I tried this I unplugged everything everything reconnected fine except my r6300 which is my access point when I plug it back in the power light flashes green(I'm pretty sure it's bricked because it's old).

Old doesn't necessarily mean bust. Did you try it with as different power adapter to rule that out? The one on the R7350 should be the same. Check the labels on the devuces and their adapters.

Have you reset the R6300 and put it back into AP mode? That's best done with the R6300 disconnected from the network and a direct connection to a PC.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If the R6300 still plays up, then you may be able to kick it back into action.

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Netgear Blinking Power LED Firmware Fix/Re-Flash Step by Step Guide (WiFi Extenders and Router) - Yo...

Message 6 of 11
chickenwing100
Aspirant

I managed to recover it using TFTP, but now I am only getting up to 300 on ethernet again.

I am using Speedtest by Ookla and a Playstation 5 to test. WIFI is around 500 and ethernet is around 300 for both

Message 7 of 11

@chickenwing100 wrote:

I managed to recover it using TFTP, but now I am only getting up to 300 on ethernet again.

I am using Speedtest by Ookla and a Playstation 5 to test. WIFI is around 500 and ethernet is around 300 for both

You remembered to put the R6300 back into AP mode?

You get a different result if you connect the Playstation to the R7350?

Message 8 of 11
chickenwing100
Aspirant

Yes the R6300 is in AP mode. When I connected the R7350 to the PlayStation it gave me 570 as the result but when I connect to the R6300 it gave 263. I'm pretty sure now I know the R6300 is giving the problem.
Message 9 of 11

@chickenwing100 wrote:
I'm pretty sure now I know the R6300 is giving the problem.

Sounds like it.

Could be cables.Or old age. The R6300 was never the fastest device going but that is slow for wired traffic.

Does it get in the way of things that you do? 263 Mbps should be good enough for most traffic.

Message 10 of 11
chickenwing100
Aspirant

I bought it around 4 years ago used so it's most likely really old. The cables are pretty much like new (not dirty, cut, or broken). It doesn't get in the way it's just not the speeds I'm paying for that's all. I'll probably just replace it.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7