Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 Intermittent disconnects, then auto-reboots

RNASguy
Luminary

R7800 Intermittent disconnects, then auto-reboots

I am about ready to drop this R7800 off the edge of a 20 story building.

Two, Three, or more times an hour I get disconnects from the LAN, and the WAN. On the 4 port LAN switch of the R7800 I can see traffic as devices attempt to connect to either LAN or WAN but no other lights show activity, they all show steady white. After this continues for 20 or 30 secs the R7800 auto reboots.

All this happens on its own, I just stand there and watch.

The R7800 has worked without issues since May of 2019 (not counting the poor Netgear UI, UX firmware.)

I blew out the case in the hope that dust was causing an over heat issue. Not much dust, no change in ops.

I switched out the wall wart power supply in the hope that low voltage or too much ripple was causing misbehavior. No luck there.

Currently on firmware: v1.0.2.90
I’m about to down rev the firmware, but I’d rather not because of security issues.

As some others have been reporting similar fails, I throw the issue open for ideas from the group mind.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

You can use Voxels FW on the R7800 as well:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53

Message 2 of 6
RNASguy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

You can use Voxels FW on the R7800 as well:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53

Thanks @FURRYe38

Re ISP: ATT (crappy, but no choice) residential gateway that provides Uverse via two bonded pair of copper.  The copper goes to the vault (a short hop) then goes by fiber (I presume MUX).  The RG is: Pace/Arris 5268AC   The RG logs show no uncorreted packet errors or lost packets, with low noise and good signal strength. Also good balance on the pair.  (I know most of the ATT outside wire guys by first name)

Also note that this RG has been working well and relyably with the R7800 since May 2019

Re Reset: Haven't done that yet, but it is on my option list, along with a few forceful hammer blows to the R7800.  The reset will have to wait until I have the time to massage the really poor UI.  I have reserved IP list for lots of stuff, and other settings.

I have a back up of the settings but one thought I had was that there might be a conflict with current firmware and some old setting.  So if go through with a reset I don't want to just reload an old backup settings.  My thinking is that it is better to just go through it page by page.  But that will have to wait until I have the time and my fav shot of Whisky near by.

Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 6
RNASguy
Luminary

PS:  Voxel is a thought, but I have yet to look into it.  One question comes to mind: can I reflash the NG firmware if I don't like the Voxel or is it a oneway street.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

It wouldn't be the first ISP supplied device that got an update that caused issues. 

Have you tried the pace in router mode and t he netgear in access point mode?

Message 5 of 6
RNASguy
Luminary

Hi plemans

Thanks for your post.

Well, not sure what you mean with:

@plemans wrote:

It wouldn't be the first ISP supplied device that got an update that caused issues. 

I regularly look in on the ISP supplied Residential Gateway (Pace/Arris 5268AC) and it has not had an firmware up date in sometime.

The Netgear R7800 on the other has had updates recently in the first of December 2021, and most recently to v1.0.2.90 on the 31st of Jan ‘22.

And as for turning the Pace 5268AC into a router...

@plemans wrote:

Have you tried the pace in router mode and t he netgear in access point mode?

The Pace already is and must work as a router. As far as I know, there is no “pass through” mode for the Residential Gateway Pace 5268AC. All the services supplied by the RG (TV, voice phone, internet) are coming into the RG as high speed VDSL, and all those services are turned into IP packets in the RG. Therefore the RG must, and will only function as a router so it can route all those packets to the correct service and port on the RG.

To avoid the classic router behind a router problem I changed the subnet on the RG for the LAN side of the RG. I then allowed (in the RG 5268AC) the R7800 access through the RG firewall with DMZplus. This has worked just fine since 2019.

I am starting to think that I should reset the R7800 to factory default, and then page by page do the setup (a big PITB) and NOT load a previous backup setup. Since v1.0.2.82 firmware Netgear removed a bunch of features. It is stuff I don’t use (ReadySHARE Vault, OpenDNS (Live parental controls), remote GUI access, and WPS PIN function) perhaps a reset and a reconfigure is in order.

Thoughts?

PS: how do you like the RAXE500?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7