Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 - Nighthawk X10 SFP port

L101314
Aspirant

R9000 - Nighthawk X10 SFP port

Good morning all,
I am interested in this router and ask myself the following question:
is the 10Gb SFP port usable
with an AGM-731F type SFP module in order to be able to connect this router to my GS752TPS in a multimode fiber link?
I thank you in advance for your help.
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you should try and see. Get something from a place that has a good return policy. 

I got this one from Amazon:

Cable Matters 10GBASE-T 10 Gigabit SFP+

I had it in my XS505M but ran into something that I found out wasn't the SFP issue. So I swap it out of the switch and into the R9000 and works. I don't have Fiber support here so would be something to try and see. Send back if it doesn't happen to work. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you're "just looking at it", I'd avoid it. 

Theres been a posting prior that its probably not getting any more firmware updates and is going to be EOL.

I haven't seen it pop up on the list yet but I'd put my $ towards something with a 10gig ethernet port versus this. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Voxels FW is still supporting the R9000 and his stuff is pretty good. A good alternative should NG EoL the R9000.

Message 4 of 7
Kitsap
Master

I recently picked up a used R9000 on the secondary market and have Voxels firmware installed.  Also picked up the Cable Matters 10GBASE-T 10 Gigabit SFP+ adapter.  The combination mates up very will with my CM2050V modem.

If you are looking to purchase new hardware, the R9000 is most likely not a good long term investment.  The design is dated and the version of Wi-Fi 6 it transmits is obsolete.  Overall, it is an outstanding router, and the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi is solid.

Message 5 of 7
L101314
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for your answers. What similar material would you advise me to replace the R9000? of course, newer and still equipped with an SFP port. another question, know how many NAT rules, port opening am I limited to on an R9000?
Message 6 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@L101314 wrote:
Hello, thank you for your answers. What similar material would you advise me to replace the R9000? of course, newer and still equipped with an SFP port. another question, know how many NAT rules, port opening am I limited to on an R9000?

I really do not have any good answers to your questions.  If you are asking about the number of NAT rules and port openings allowed, you should be using professional grade hardware and not consumer grade like the R9000.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7