× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50/RBS50 old router name with wired connection

rhultman22
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50/RBS50 old router name with wired connection

AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router Model RBR50 with 1 RBS50 satellite

Firmware version V2.7.4.24

Windows 11 laptop connecting

A family member purchased this mesh network new and installed it as SSID "platypus".  They upgraded and gave this system to me.  I installed it using a different SSID.  All WiFi connections work.  I have one laptop that I connect as wired.  I notice that when it connects, it reports that it connected to "platypus".  I've been through all configuration windows and cannot find "platypus" anywhere.  How do I get this to connect to the new SSID?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50/RBS50 old router name with wired connection

If the laptop is wired, then no need to worry about the SSID. It's just windows had picked up the network name and gave that connection to the ethernet port. Your fine to run it as is. 

Message 2 of 10
rhultman22
Aspirant

Thanks for the confirmation.  I noticed that it seems to work OK, although it seems to take a long time to connect.  I rebooted the laptop and the wired connection appeared to not be connecting.  I unplugged it, then plugged it back in.  It took almost a minute before it connected and showed up as 'platypus'.  I can't recall if I did a factory reset or not before plugging it in.  I backed up the configuration.  I wonder if I should do a factory reset, then reload the configuration file?  

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a reset then see if things work with out the back up config. If it does, then make a new back up file. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Also check into last released FW version as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Message 4 of 10
rhultman22
Aspirant

See attached screenshot. Logged into Orbi > Advanced > Firmware Update > Check, it says it's at V2.7.4.24 and "No new firmware version available".  I saw another post from you from 2023 describing Netgear's behavior regarding autoupdate.  I conclude that you suggest I download and install the newest 2.7.5.4 version?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, AU has been problematic for Orbi AC series. Since the AC series is EoL, NG isn't auto updating anymore. Only if something security wise is needed, maybe however for the most part now, manual updating will be need at the users discretion. Can follow this process I posted in a PDF file: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Please check the Advanced Tab, LAN Setup page and see what Name has been assigned to the router.

(on my router, the name is on the FAR right side of the page)

CrimpOn_0-1714405388157.png

Message 7 of 10
rhultman22
Aspirant

I had checked that and it reads RBR50.  The laptop is hardwired into the RBR50, not the RBS50.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

"my bad".  Both of my 'wired' computers claim to be connected to the WiFi SSID (on two different Orbi routers), not to the name that is assigned to the router.  What a puzzle!

My guess is that it may take a Factory Reset to do this, but what a pain!

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

What a fascinating question!  This thread discussed the situation at length:

https://superuser.com/questions/1316481/how-does-windows-decide-the-name-of-ethernet-lan 

The conclusion seems to be that "once upon a time" Windows associated the MAC address of the router with this network name and remembers it until the user changes it.  On my Windows 11 computer:

CrimpOn_0-1714426679852.png

Right clicking on the Ethernet adapter brings up choices:

CrimpOn_1-1714426878036.png

What a hoot!  The problem right now is I cannot get this function to DO anything.  My interest level is flagging now that it appears this crazy situation is caused by the computer rather than any setting on the WiFi router.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series