× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Router Admin Speed test much faster than when tested internally

pbdorders
Aspirant

RBR50 Router Admin Speed test much faster than when tested internally

When in the administrative settings for my Orbi RBR50, if I run a Speedtest it tends to read 800-850mbps. I subscribe to a 1GB service. On the LAN, I mostly get 130-150 mbps wired, and 80-150 wireless. I have run a Speedtest on a wired laptop connected directly to the 1gig port on the router with nothing else connected. With that setup the results are the same (>800 in the admin speed test, <150 out of the 1gb port). So, either the admin Speedtest is false (but it jives with what I subscribe to and is different each test so no particular reason to think it’s off), or there’s an issue with the routers ability to deliver an adequate signal. Thoughts are appreciated.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Router Admin Speed test much faster than when tested internally

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How are you speed testing on the laptop PC? Web page speed test? Ooklas installable speed test app is recommended.
Does trying a different wired PC result in same speeds seen with 1st PC? 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How are you speed testing on the laptop PC? Web page speed test? Ooklas installable speed test app is recommended.
Does trying a different wired PC result in same speeds seen with 1st PC? 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 4
pbdorders
Aspirant

Thank you for the prompt response. 

Firmware is V2.7.4.24

Modem is a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1, Model MB8600

The LAN cables are all new Cat6 cables. 

I am using the Ookla app (on a Mac), and the issue is consistent amongst various computers.

I think you've nailed it on the apps. I turned off the Traffic Meter (which I don't use and never really even noticed) and the Parental Controls (which we unfortunately have to use). With parental controls off, the issue is largely resolved. With them on, there is a tremendous decrement in speed (as described above). 

Any idea if any of the newer Orbi models have this same issue?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

New models having better and faster CPUs and chipsets, should not see this there. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series