× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have two GS308E switches connected to a router. PC's Connected to one cannot see the other

dratphotographe
Follower

I have two GS308E switches connected to a router. PC's Connected to one cannot see the other

I have two GS308E switches that I have connected to my Linksys router model EA7250.  I used port 1 on both of the GS306E and port 2 and port 3 on the Linksys router.  I expected that computers connected to GS308E switch A to be able to ping, communicate with GS308E switch B.  This does not seem to be the case.  I have given the Switch's a name and DHCP Mode is Enabled. 

Machines on GS308E Switch A can communicate with other machines on Switch A.

Machines on GS308E Switch B can communicate with other machines on Switch B.

But Switch A cannot communicate with B unless I leave the network and come back with ZeroTier.

Both Switch A and Switch B are on 10.17.98.0/24

The linksys router can see both switch's and the machines that are connected to them.

A windows machine connected to Switch A can ping Switch B's ip address but not the machines connected to Switch B.  

Thank you,

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: I have two GS308E switches connected to a router. PC's Connected to one cannot see the other

These switches are pure L2, and don't care about subnets or IP addresses - except for the configuration access. The Plus switch Web UI is reachable within the same IP subnet for sure, but might require full IP MTU frames, because this very basic and simple stack does not support Path MTU Discovery. Access over any kind of VPN does commonly reduce the MTU.

None of this does explain why the devices connected to either switch can not "see" each other. I expect both LAN ports on your router are transparent L2 ports, and there are neither VLANs nor VLANs configured on the two switches. Or are all tests you do limited to the two switch IP addresses and always using ZeroTier only?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements