× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS510TXUP WebUI randomly stops working

alexatkin
Aspirant

MS510TXUP WebUI randomly stops working

I have had this happen a couple of times now where the WebUI will just suddenly not respond.  Today for the first time I noticed the power LED is also flashing quickly on the switch, possibly to notify me there is an issue?  But I cannot find any mention of this error state.

I can still ping the switch, my SNMP monitoring still works and all switching and PoE is working fine.

The first time this happened it seemed one of the SFP+ adapters was slightly pulled out as it clicked when I pushed it.  This time though, everything is secure so I think that was just misleading and possibly the fibre connector itself not the SFP (makes sense, they are supposed to be locking).

I don't remember this happening until the latest firmware, or I think its the latest given I can't login to confirm.

Message 1 of 12
NiveditaP
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: MS510TXUP WebUI randomly stops working

Hello,

If there is no error found in the state of the switch, then the reason for the LED blinking also might be because of the duplex mismatch. So check the duplex speed

Also, check for the color of the LED.

Another possible reason might be A network loop (redundant
path) might be created.

If the web UI is not responding check for the compatibility of the browser and clear all the cache and check again. Also, check for the application whether you can able to access it from there.

If your issue is resolved please close the thread by clicking "Accept as solution".

Have a lovely day,
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team

Message 2 of 12
alexatkin
Aspirant

Its the power LED flashing and all network connectivity operates as normal, just the WebUI not functional, ping and SSH still work.  Is there a way to manually restart the WebUI via the SSH console?

What application did you mean for checking?  I have no intention of enabling Insight if that's what you mean as I rarely need to make any changes and all monitoring is done over SNMP.

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

The MS510TXUP physical power LED can blink (fast) green while the switch is restarting. This status isn't visible in the Web based Device View.

Flashing could indicate a crash or restart situation.

Message 4 of 12
alexatkin
Aspirant

The only thing that could have crashed is the WebUI/server itself as all switch functionality operates normally.  I've left it in this state for days as obviously rebooting a switch is a pain when its in active use.

So far I've had to power cycle which is a huge pain given then I have to wait for all my PoE devices to reboot too.  If I can soft reboot from SSH it would be more practical as I have permanent PoE power enabled so it wouldn't power cycle the connected devices.  Even better would be recognising there is an issue here and fix it in firmware.

Its not a cheap switch and I'm fairly sure this only started happening after the last firmware.  I assume booting to an older firmware retains settings?  For now I've enabled remote syslog, see if it reports anything the next time it happens.

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Operating a bunch of MS510TXUP (v10.0.5.12 since late March, a hand full in local admin, most in Insight cloud mode) along with a few MS510TX and MS510TXPP (v6.7.0.52 since last summer). Web UI remain available reliably here, in either way. All covered in syslog monitoring, nothing uncommon visible.

Just curious, are your switches Web UI exposed to the wild Internet or a target for possible attacks or IDS scans?

Message 6 of 12
alexatkin
Aspirant

No.  So the only thing accessing it regularly is SNMP, my only guess would be a memory leak there causing it to kill the WebUI.

Interesting you are on v10.0.5.12, is that via Insight? The support page only shows v10.0.5.10 which I'm running.

For reference, I have a Netgear MS510TXPP and Netgear GS110EMX on the uplink ports.  I am using an SFP+ 10G-BASE-T adapter (ipolex ASF-10G-T) in one of the ports if that somehow could be tripping something up.  I can't remember if this happened before I installed that as I was using a DAC to my NAS previously in that port which seemed to be causing performance problems across the entire switch, but since switching to that adapter its been great.  Seems an unlikely candidate given switching is working fine.

I guess all I can do is keep an eye on syslog if it happens again.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@alexatkin wrote:

Interesting you are on v10.0.5.12, is that via Insight?

MS510TXUP_1.0.5.12 is no longer available, it was available for manual download as well as for Insight.

Message 8 of 12
TauntaunSteakum
Aspirant

Just happened to me on MS510TX, https login successful but only partial webui load. Some panels showing connection refused test instead. Logged out, power cycled, and now Chrome gives: 

This site can’t be reached

192... refused to connect.

..and Firefox gives:

Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to 192...

Tried ssh and recieved:

ssh: connect to host 192... port 22: Connection refused

Should I factory reset? ..what a pain..

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Does the https://www.netgear.com/support/product/netgear-switch-discovery-tool#download confirm you talk to the switch you intend to administer?
Message 10 of 12
TauntaunSteakum
Aspirant

Great idea! ..Nothing found though.

TauntaunSteakum_0-1702149044677.png

Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Time for a factory reset and retry...

Message 12 of 12