× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

vlan slow

blentz
Tutor

vlan slow

i have 4 switches 1 in each of 4 buildings. I have the standard default vlan 1 and an additional vlan 10 configured.  On switch 1 and switch 4, there is a U port configured for VLAN 10 - on all 4 switches, there are T ports configured to move the traffic from switch 1 all the way to switch 4.

On switch 1, there is a starlink modem plugged into the U port. On switch 4, there is a router plugged into the U port

The router sees the starlink modem, but the traffic is so slow, it fails the ping test and disables the WAN connection.  If i plug a laptop into the U port in place of the router, the laptop fails to see the DHCP server on the starlink modem.

I have changed around using different switch ports to troubleshoot with no success - i am stumped - i could use some help.  The funny thing is , this used to work but stopped about a week ago.   i have swapped out 2 of the 4 switches with no fix.  I guess the last thing to do is swap out each of the  2 remaining switches to see if we have a bad switch?  All the traffic on all 4 switches for vlan 1 work fine - no speed issues.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
blentz
Tutor

Re: vlan slow

That fixed it! - un real - why did it ever work? Crazy technology - switch should not allow that option.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
blentz
Tutor

I have attached a pdf of the switch configs

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The VLAN10 configuration looks correct. The issue must be in the VLAN 1 configuration.

Have by accident defined the VLAN 1 on the same ports in use for the VLAN in use for the Starlink LAN? This would cause what is named an asymmetric VLAN config, but not supported on any Netgear switch, but not disallowed or warned on some of the Plus switches Web UI. This could cause the issue you describe. Some or all of the untagged frames end in the wrong VLAN, the some of the return traffic will flow in the wrong path.

A word on nomenclature: Starlink Modem? Something that does not exit in the Starlink marketing or support terms. Starlink Gen 2 and 3 have an Ethernet port (for SL Gen 1 require a proprietary Ethernet adapter), this is either configured as a NAT router (so with a DHCP server assigning private RFC1918 LAN IP addresses). Alternate config option (typically used on deployments with user supplied NAT routers or Mesh systems) is naming this as Bypass mode. Technically similar to a DSL modem.

Regards,

-Kurt.

PS. Will request a moderator moving this thread to the more appropriate Plus And Smart Switches Forum to Discuss Smart Switches (T) and Plus Switches (E), including Local and Remote Management

Message 3 of 9
blentz
Tutor

What would you look at on the vlan 1 config?

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Look for one or more if the ports intended as Access ports for VLAN 10 are also marked as participating as [U]tagged on the VLAN 1 view.
Message 5 of 9
blentz
Tutor

OK i think you nailed it - i attached another pdf of config with what you suggested could be the issue.

I will test the change later today - i will let you know how it works out!

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Exactly, click on the VPN1 port 7 until it shows empty, no [U] or [T], just [ ] .. and apply
Message 7 of 9
blentz
Tutor

That fixed it! - un real - why did it ever work? Crazy technology - switch should not allow that option.

Thank you!

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@blentz wrote:

Valid point. However, what is named Asymmetrical VLANs (a very niche network design solution in fact) seems still allowed and supported. Unfortunately, there are to many users looking for assistance on similar issues, so it wasn't very difficult for the interested reader to provide a solution here. A warning at least would be helpful, as it's not easy to keep the bigger picture.

Happy your network is working as intended again!

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements