× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

M4250 pinned at full fan speed

JohanHH
Aspirant

M4250 pinned at full fan speed

Hi. Just picked up a M4250-10G2XF-POE++

It came with firmware 13.0.4.8 and I figured I should throw in the latest firmware (13.0.4.18). It updated just fine, but now the fan speed is pinned at max, no matter the fan settings (even Off).

The switch is not plugget into anything so there is no PoE usage, and the temperature reads 22C.

Switch is not usable for deployment the way it is now.

All the best,

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4250 pinned at full fan speed

Hi Team,

No, there is no particular issue in previous firmware, but I can guess what is happening here.

When NETGEAR published 13.0.4.17 firmware for the M4250 switches, in addition to new software features, this new firmware 13.0.4.17 initiates the PoE controller firmware upgrade. When the switch is upgraded to v13.0.4.17, you are asked to “restart” the switch to apply this new firmware. When the switch is booting up, the PoE controller upgrade is taking place, and you shall wait till “PoE controller firmware upgraded to 1.4.1.1” message is logged. During this firmware upgrade process, FANs may run in higher speed. Please be patient, and do not power cycle the switch again until upgrade process is complete, and FANs start running at normal/reduced speed. It can take up to seven minutes to have the switch operational again.

Unfortunately, interrupting the PoE controller upgrade by power cycling the switch too early, can result in a “bricked” switch with PoE issues and the fans running in higher speed all the time. Don’t worry, there is way to fix it – by downgrading the switch with a previous firmware version. When rebooting the switch, please be patient again, until the switch operates normally. Then you can reattempt the 13.0.4.17 upgrade, this time waiting for the “PoE controller firmware upgraded to 1.4.1.1” message in the logs when the switch is booting up. In any case, feel free to contact the NETGEAR ProAV Design team (email us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com) and one of us will help fix it.

In your case above, it probably happened when upgrading from an old firmware version to latest 13.0.4.19; the PoE upgrade triggered full fans speed, and the switch was probably rebooted during that time.

We need to downgrade this switch again with an older FW version. When the switch has rebooted and PoE/fans are all good (please be patient during the PoE downgrade), then you can re-upgrade to latest 13.0.4.19 and reboot. This time, please be extremely patient, and let the switch with full fan speed finish the PoE upgrade (it will take several minutes) and then switch will come back to normal on its own.

Please send us a message to ProAVDesign@netgear.com if you need help, an SE can schedule a call with you and proceed with all that. We can provide you with 13.0.2.37 for downgrade and take it from there with you! 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Give this a try instead M4250 Firmware Version 13.0.4.19 (released these hours, as of writing).

@LaurentMa any insight on a potential fan issue on 13.0.4.18, as nothing mentioned in the release notes.  

Message 2 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Team,

No, there is no particular issue in previous firmware, but I can guess what is happening here.

When NETGEAR published 13.0.4.17 firmware for the M4250 switches, in addition to new software features, this new firmware 13.0.4.17 initiates the PoE controller firmware upgrade. When the switch is upgraded to v13.0.4.17, you are asked to “restart” the switch to apply this new firmware. When the switch is booting up, the PoE controller upgrade is taking place, and you shall wait till “PoE controller firmware upgraded to 1.4.1.1” message is logged. During this firmware upgrade process, FANs may run in higher speed. Please be patient, and do not power cycle the switch again until upgrade process is complete, and FANs start running at normal/reduced speed. It can take up to seven minutes to have the switch operational again.

Unfortunately, interrupting the PoE controller upgrade by power cycling the switch too early, can result in a “bricked” switch with PoE issues and the fans running in higher speed all the time. Don’t worry, there is way to fix it – by downgrading the switch with a previous firmware version. When rebooting the switch, please be patient again, until the switch operates normally. Then you can reattempt the 13.0.4.17 upgrade, this time waiting for the “PoE controller firmware upgraded to 1.4.1.1” message in the logs when the switch is booting up. In any case, feel free to contact the NETGEAR ProAV Design team (email us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com) and one of us will help fix it.

In your case above, it probably happened when upgrading from an old firmware version to latest 13.0.4.19; the PoE upgrade triggered full fans speed, and the switch was probably rebooted during that time.

We need to downgrade this switch again with an older FW version. When the switch has rebooted and PoE/fans are all good (please be patient during the PoE downgrade), then you can re-upgrade to latest 13.0.4.19 and reboot. This time, please be extremely patient, and let the switch with full fan speed finish the PoE upgrade (it will take several minutes) and then switch will come back to normal on its own.

Please send us a message to ProAVDesign@netgear.com if you need help, an SE can schedule a call with you and proceed with all that. We can provide you with 13.0.2.37 for downgrade and take it from there with you! 

Message 3 of 8
JohanHH
Aspirant

Hi.

I tried the following steps:

1. Download "Firmware Version 13.0.4.17 for M4250 switches with 16-or-less ports" from this page
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4250/#download

2. Login into switch using OOB port

3. Upload the firmware and press "Reboot" when prompted

4. Take the dog for a walk

It is still pinned at Max after 45 min since I started the update. Logs read:
"192.168.0.239-1 POE[hwMonTask]: hpc_poe_brcm.c(1278) 439 %% WARN 0/0: PoE uC(06/e1ff) firmware is incompatible/corrupt"

Logs attached (don't worry about wrong dates in the log).

Message 4 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

OK thank you, it means new PoW FW is bricked and the .17 doesn't help. You need to go to much older FW as I explained. Please send an email with the link to this thread to ProAVDesign@netgear.com and we will assist you using an older FW such as 13.0.2.37, as I explained, and take it from there!

Message 5 of 8
JohanHH
Aspirant

Thanks for the assist. I will update this thread when it is done 😃

Message 6 of 8
JohanHH
Aspirant

This was the correct solution. I was emailed the old firmware that I could downgrade to, and the  update to latest.

After being a bit more patient with the process the fans quiet down and logs did not show any errors.

Thanks for the great support 😃

Message 7 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you @JohanHH 

May it serve all other members 🙂 and I hope Google Search will index this page right

Cheers to all

And congratulations to the best AV over IP Switch System Engineering team in the world, the NETGEAR ProAV Design team! Email us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com first, as we can't monitor the forum as often as we wish. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR