Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sorting numbered folder

everytime
Guide

Sorting numbered folder

When we use ReadyCloud, folders are not sorted “properly,” at least for those in a Mac environment, and I’m looking for a solution.

Here’s the situation: Folders that begin with numbers are sorted simply. ReadyCloud looks at the first character and bases the sort on that. It doesn’t look at the second character to see if that’s part of the first. Confused? I understand. An example will help.

Local folders on our Macs and folders on the NAS, are displayed this way:

1. Folder name
2. Folder name
3. Folder name
16. Folder name
21.Folder name
23. Folder name
45. Folder name

But, when accessing the system via ReadyCloud, these folders are displayed this way:

1. Folder name
16. Folder name
2. Folder name
21. Folder name
23. Folder name
3. Folder name
45. Folder name

I understand that the Mac OS has the “intelligence” to look at these leading digits and sort by the complete number. I’m wondering if there’s an option when accessing these directories via ReadyCloud to have them displayed the way they are on Macs locally. (I know that putting leading zeros in front of each numbered folder’s name will do the trick, but then when the number goes from two digits to three or from three to four, it will have to be done again. Plus, that looks so last century!)

Does anyone know there’s an option or a setting to make the sorted display more user friendly?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello everytime,

Are you referring to ReadyCloud desktop client or ReadyCloud web URL?

Also, can you please check if you get the same way it is sorted when you locally map the files?

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
everytime
Guide

Hi. I’m not sure about your questions so I can only answer with some of my own.

First, I don’t know anything about a ReadyCloud desktop client. Is that something I download to a Mac? So, I guess the answer is that occurs when I am away from my local network and go to “readycloud.netgear.com/client/en/welcome.html,” click on Sign In, enter User Name and Password, and then browse to a directory with numbered files.

For your second question, I use AFP to access the files locally. When I view a directory, it is displayed (in the Mac OS X Finder) as shown in my question:

1. Folder name
    2. Folder name
    3. Folder name
    16. Folder name
    21.Folder name
    23. Folder name
    45. Folder name

When I use a Terminal window (Unix), change to the directory on the NAS, and do a simple “ls” it displays the second way:

1. Folder name
    16. Folder name
    2. Folder name
    21. Folder name
    23. Folder name
    3. Folder name
    45. Folder name

Pardon my lack of knowledge about your questions and the system. Please provide me with a little more information and I’ll try my best to answer.

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello everytime,

ReadyCloud desktop client is a program/application that you can download to access your NAS instead of getting to readycloud.netgear.com. You are using the ReadyCloud web URL, not the desktop client, which is just okay.

Since you are using the URL access, have you tried a different web browser?

I checked this on our own unit and it shows folders  are alphabetically arranged.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
everytime
Guide

Sorry for the delay. Here's what I've done: I tried ReadyCloud with Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. None of them made a difference.

I think the problem is that ReadyCloud does not look at file or folder names with "intelligence." What Mac OS X does is to parse the file name. It looks at the string of characters and evaluates the pattern. If it finds a group of (concatenated) numbers, it decides that they should be sorted based on the entire number. ReadyCould does not have this intelligence.

Here are two listings.

Mac OS X Finder:

No. I can't do this because ReadyCloud does not permit me to insert an image. When I click on the Insert Image icon I'm unable to browse to the image and dragging it into this window doesn't work.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@everytime wrote:

I think the problem is that ReadyCloud does not look at file or folder names with "intelligence." What Mac OS X does is to parse the file name. It looks at the string of characters and evaluates the pattern. If it finds a group of (concatenated) numbers, it decides that they should be sorted based on the entire number.

The NAS runs linux, and what you describe is exactly how linux behaves.  The sort is strictly alphabetical (and it also is case sensitive, so apple is not next to Apricot).  The file list/order is coming from the NAS, not ReadyCloud itself - any adjustment would be done there.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements