× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.4.1-RC1 e-mail alerts

StormUK
Tutor

6.4.1-RC1 e-mail alerts

With this release I notice a few changes to the email alerts section.  We can now add multiple recipients which is great for us.

Sadly a problem has now been created - When you setup an account provider the ReadyNAS is insisting on having something in the 'User' box - it says 'user name cannot be emtpy'.  The SMTP servers that we use require anonymous authentication as they authenticate by the site IP address so the 'User' and 'Password' box must be blank.

Can this please be fixed - we have a lot of clients with ReadyNAS's that use anonymous SMTP relay.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please try 6.4.1-RC3 and confirm whether it is fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello StormUK,

Welcome to the community!

Please post a screenshot of the settings you made?

Regards,

Message 2 of 14
StormUK
Tutor

username.PNG

Message 3 of 14
grumbledog
Aspirant

I was logging in to report basically the same problem! I have noticed the exact same issue on my 6.4.1-RC1 system.

Message 4 of 14
grumbledog
Aspirant

What is also funny, if I put in a "<space>" for the user, and modify /etc/msmtprc and set "auth off" in the file, then I get two emails when testing alerting. The first one is an email, from the alerting system, saying that the alerting cannot send email, and the second, sent in the same second, is the actual alert test email.

Message 5 of 14
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello StormUK,

Can you try contacting support and report this?

Regards,

Message 6 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please try 6.4.1-RC3 and confirm whether it is fixed.

Message 7 of 14
StormUK
Tutor

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 6.4.1 RC3 and I'm afraid I still get exactly the same error - 'User Name cannot be empty'

Message 8 of 14
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Perhaps you need to clear your browser cache, or do a force reload.  I just tried it again, using the exact same settings from your screenshot, and it didn't force me to input a username.

Message 9 of 14
StormUK
Tutor

Yes, after clearing the browser cache it now works!

Thanks for your help.

🙂

Message 10 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StormUK,

Thanks for the feedback. You may now tag this thread as resolved by clicking the response or post that helped resolved this issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 14
grumbledog
Aspirant

@StormUK wrote:

Yes, after clearing the browser cache it now works!

Thanks for your help.

🙂

Hi StormUK,

I have noticed that in my case the "from" address is getting populated with my own mail account instead of the "readynas" account. Do you have the same problem? Or is yours behaving correctly?

Note that, in my case, /etc/msmtprc is correctly filled out, just the values that are in that file are not being shown in the UI.

Message 12 of 14
StormUK
Tutor

Hi,

Yes it did do that - I guess its just trying to be smart!  I was able to just replace the from address with the correct one.

Message 13 of 14
grumbledog
Aspirant

Yeah, I can replace the address with the correct one, but when I go back into the configuration screen, it shows me the wrong value again. It shows the "to" address instead of the "from" addressin the "from" address field.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements