× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Creating a new backup job to attached USB drive abends at 6.4.1 RC1

HolgerGT86
Guide

Creating a new backup job to attached USB drive abends at 6.4.1 RC1

Hello all,

me again ...

I'm using a ReadyNAS 104 at level 6.4.1 RC1.

I tried to define a new backup job backing up from ReadyNAS to USB attached disk drive.

The USB drive is (was) connected to the back top USB connector.

As local source I selected all home shares but this doesn't matter at all.

The issue is with selecting the local target.

I browsed for the target and selected "media -> USB_HDD_1".

This backup job cannot be saved at all. It looks like the definition process abends. 

The backup job is never saved, doesn't matter if a target path is specified in addition or not.

For me it looks like the problem is with selecting "media -> USB_HDD_1" because when I select "USB/eSATA ports -> USB back top" everything is working as expected.

Why does the browse function allow me to select "media -> USB_HDD_1" if this is an incorrect selection?

I recommend to hide the media tree in the target browse view.

Regards... Holger

Message 1 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HolgerGT86,

This seems weird. Does this happen if you will try another external USB hard drive? Safely remove the external USB hard drive from the ReayNAS. Connect it to your PC and run the Windows Disk-Error Checking tool. Once done, try to create a backup job using the USB HDD name directory.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
HolgerGT86
Guide

Hello BrianL,

thanks for your reply.

I do not have a private Windows machine anymore which I could use to run the utility. I moved to Mac.

Anyway...

Using the external disk with the USB interface, I ejected, reconnected and newly formatted it to different formats (Fat32, Ext4) using the ReadyNAS itself several times.

No change, when I selected the media --> usb as target, the backup job was not defined and not saved. The admin web interfaces was reconnecting and reloading instead. This was recreatable every time. Using the eSATA/USB --> USB back top it worked immediately.

I cannot test it anymore as I moved to eSATA and don't wanna mess up things.

Today I tried to recreate using media --> eSATA as backup target but that backup job defined and saved correctly.

Don't know what was wrong - maybe some old information was still in the cache which led to this issue.

For me the issue is resolved.

Only one suggestion. When browsing for the backup target, would it make sense to hide all directories / shares which are not a valid target?

For example hide the directories on the ReadyNAS used as backup source, hide the media --> usb/eSATA shares, ....

Many thanks and you may close this thread.

Regards... Holger

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements