× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rn104 resync & freeze issue

topbiker
Follower

Rn104 resync & freeze issue

Dear All

Have just updated to 6.4.0 and then last night to 6.4.1. Have a horendous issue that on the reboot the NAS will insist on doing a volume resync. I have 3 x 4TB drives and 1 x 1 TB drive useable = 8.1 TB.

Have used space of about 3.7 TB and 20 GB in Snapshots.

It keeps saying > than 60 ghours to resync data and then gets about half way through and then just completely locks up. with no response from the front pannel. Only way to reboot is to pull the power cable and then it starts all over again.

Can anyone suggest a work round or to stop it doing a resync.

Thanks

Tony

Message 1 of 45
StephenB
Guru

Try downloading the logs and looking at the drive SMART stats.  If they are healthy you should contact support.

Message 2 of 45
fragglerok
Aspirant

i get the same thing with RC3, but its better than it was no get a day and half without crashes, before it was 1hour. exteremely unhappy with the way netgear has been handling the myriad of issues since 6.4

Message 3 of 45
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello fragglerok,

Are you getting the same exact issue that topbiker mentioned? If so, please do what StephenB suggested.

Regards,

Message 4 of 45
Paramedic113
Aspirant

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem.

I have downloaded the log, but do not know what to look for ...

Regards,

Gerry

Message 5 of 45
smc007i
Aspirant

Add another one to the list .. I have 6.4.0, but no update to 6.4.1 offered...

I've noticed my system will freeze when copying larger files across, particularly when using my backup system.  I've gone through all the logs I can find, but there doesn't seem to be anything that stands out.  It's like nothing happened, then the system restarted, then resync starts.

Like paramedic113 if someone can direct me to which logs to look that might assist.

The only thing I can find is when I hover over one of my drives on the volume page it says ATA Error: 6, but can't seem to find what that means, not sure if its an error code or an error count - it doesn't change.

It's really frustrating, I can hardly get a couple of hours out of the drives now before they freeze, I have to then unplug, then it goes back into re-sync on power up.

S

Message 6 of 45
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi smc007i,

Give us a copy of the logs so we can check the status of your device, especially the hard drives.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 45
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@smc007i wrote:

I have 6.4.0, but no update to 6.4.1 offered... 

What do you mean by that?  If you're not running 6.4.1-RC3, you should first update to that version, which is the latest posted in this forum.

Message 8 of 45
smc007i
Aspirant

BrianL,

How do I send the download of logs? I can't attach the zip file to this post.

Skywalker,

I mean when I click check for updates I'm told the system is up to date on 6.4.0. 

Message 9 of 45
StephenB
Guru

How do I send the download of logs? I can't attach the zip file to this post.

Skywalker has a "sending logs" link in his signature.  Check that.

I mean when I click check for updates I'm told the system is up to date on 6.4.0. 

It was just released today (before that it was in beta) - so it isn't on the update server yet.  You can download it from here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684/~/readynas-downloads#software

extract the firmware from the zip.  Go into system->settings and you will see a manual installation button.

BTW, there is a nice writeup on the changes from 6.4.0 here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29961/~/readynas-os-6.4.1%3A-faq-on-maintenance-firmwa...

Message 10 of 45
smc007i
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

I've updated the firmware and it's doing it's latest resync (it crashed again overnight).  Hopefully this is better.

I've forwarded my last set of logs for info also.

Thanks,

S

Message 11 of 45
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi smc007i,

While your logs are being reviewed, I suggest that you try the official 6.4.1 firmware that has been released today.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team​​

Message 12 of 45
fragglerok
Aspirant

still getting exactly the same issue on final 6.4.1

Message 13 of 45
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello fragglerok,

I see that you have not contact support center yet, please contact support so you can take advantage of your free phone support as this I believe needs to be checked by L3.

Regards,

Message 14 of 45
Cuoresportivo
Aspirant

I have tha same problem than other users.

I'm running 6.4.1 RC3 and when transfering large files my readynad 104 freezes, the power button does noes respond and I have no other choice than unplugging it.

Everytime I have to unplug my NAS, it has to go through à 24h hours resync.

Now I fear data loss sooner or later.

How come such a big compagny than Netgear could have released such a buggy firmware? It's a shame!

Message 15 of 45
smc007i
Aspirant

Upgrading to 6.4.1 didn't do anything for me, same issue and I've forwarded in my logs this morning.  During list latest freeze I wasn't even copying anything, it happened overnight. 😞

Message 16 of 45
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

See the PM regarding your logs.   

If I have correct logs then you have 1 bad drive serial# WD-WCC1T0163916 which is reason for slow and continued resync.  I suggest make sure you have a backup before you take any further steps at this point.

On 2015-04-10 19:02:48 this drive had 5 uncorrectable and 4 ATA error.  On 2015-10-27 22:37:24, the count moved on ATA to 6 but the bigger problem is that your uncorrectable and pending sector count also increased.  This drive is about to take slow spiral to dealth.

Additionaly,  I suggest staying away from GREEN drives (WD-WCC1T0163916 is Green drive) for RAID use.  maybe stick to RED or better.  GREEN isn't really meant for RAID use and they tend to create random resync issue when they can't respond in time since they meant as per manufacturer for Desktop use only and not really for RAID system such as NAS.  RED typically only cost 10-20 dollars more than green but at min they are designed for RAID use.  but if you must use green to save cost then I suggest reading up some drive modification forum on changing the green drive firmware setting to be more like a RED drive....;)

Message 17 of 45
smc007i
Aspirant

Thanks, have PM'd you back some questions on a way forward.

Message 18 of 45
stigpepper
Tutor

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I've a RN104 with 4 x 2TB discs, each time I restart the NAS it starts to resync then freezes within an hour.  I'd received a warning in relation to disc 3 so maybe it's on it's way out but I'll look into getting my hands on the logs and posting them on the form.

Cheers

Message 19 of 45
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

I recommend checking the smart_history.log in logs.  

It should show you the history of the drives including the date & time each time a disk reports a new event.  If you got pending_sect, uncorrectable_error then you likely want to backup what you can if you don't have a backup before attempting any replacement of drives.  if you already doing a resync which looks like you are... I suggest not replacing the disk until you have made backup of data you must not lose first.

If the box has frozen up before, I suggest doing the following as well.  Run Raidar 6.  Let the box come up and then see if you can click on the diagnostic button to see if anything outputs.. it should show you bad disk, kernel errors etc.. easier to post back that data then send the logs.

Message 20 of 45
Paramedic113
Aspirant

Hi
I submitted my log from my RN104.
I have used the RAID 6, and it found no errors.

Message 21 of 45
StephenB
Guru

@Paramedic113 wrote:

Hi
I submitted my log from my RN104.
I have used the RAID 6, and it found no errors.

Is Antivirus protection enabled?

Did you check the SMART stats on the disks?

Message 22 of 45
Paramedic113
Aspirant

Hi!
I checked SMART status, but must admit that I did not understand much of it. It looked like there were some mistakes, but it was a period where one of HHD broke.
Antivirus was turned on until last resync, but is off now.
I now try to transfer a directory 1TB to PC. So far 8% transferred, and that's more than I've managed for a long time.

Smart_log_rn104.PNG

Message 23 of 45
StephenB
Guru

The only issues in the SMART stats are the command timeouts on the Seagate DL drives.  Are those drives in the system now?

Message 24 of 45
Paramedic113
Aspirant

Hi!
No, now I have 4 WD Red 3TB

Thank you for your patience! I'm very happy for help!

Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements