× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.4.x drive error reporting

punchbuggy
Guide

6.4.x drive error reporting

Hi team. Thought I'd ask the question here, given the combined experience with Beta lurking on this forum.

Up until 6.4.0 I've been receiving semi-regular drive errors on one drive (drive 4), which I replaced as a Seagate return, then on another (drive 3) - plus the added bonus of then starting to get errors on the new drive 4 also. All drives are Seagate ST3000VN000.

Example:

'Disk: Detected high command timeouts: [29] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1HJ166, <sn>]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.'

From 6.4.0 these errors have no longer appeared in the log. Does anyone know which has changed with the new kernel and libraries - the drive handling (getting more robust) or the error reporting (getting less comprehensive)? I'm hoping its the first, because I'd prefer not to think that the errors are there but being masked.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
ifixidevices
Luminary

Re: 6.4.x drive error reporting

I used to get command timeouts all the time on ST4000DM001 drives when I had them. That was on firmware a while back but it never really bothered me because it did it on every drive and I just figured it was the nas box and not the drives themselves having issues (although it does suck because once it starts filing them away you can't remove that data from the drive, even though it was most likely not the drives fault.)

I'm guessing they changed something to do with SMR drives (I had a few comand timeouts on those drives as well) but I'm not seeing them anymore.

Unless you're getting pending or corrected sectors though I really wouldn't worry about it. If you're getting slow performance sometimes you can attribute it to the firmware.

Message 2 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi punchbuggy & ifixidevices,

Thanks for the share. Device Firmware shouldn't cause the hard drives to fail. Might as well create another thread if you suspect that these hard drives have problems when being used on a NAS.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
punchbuggy
Guide

Thanks Brian, but my question was not whether these drives are bad (due to firmware or otherwise), but whether the way that 6.4.x handles such drives and/or reports drive errors has changed. The errors appeared semi-consistent in the logs prior to 6.4.0 and then stopped.

In other words, it's either that 6.3.x handled the drives differently, or that 6.4.x is not reporting everything as before.

[edit:] And I should point out that these are Seagate's NAS drives.

Message 4 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi punchbuggy,

Not sure what the difference is and if it has something to do on what's going on with the drives. I will probably do some digging and let you know what I find.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
punchbuggy
Guide

OK - thanks Brian.
I recall a more recent kernel was used for a starter...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements