× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow data transfer

Robvoorwinden
Aspirant

Slow data transfer

Hi,

Just a quick question: I'm trying to transfer (drag and drop) a 125-gig file from my iMac to the NAS 104. The network is all cables, no wifi, and there is hardly any other network activity. But it would still take 2 days (!) to get the file transferred. That's not normal, is it? Just checking.

(Oh and yes: the antivirus is off)

(Oh and I upgraded the firmware to 6.4.1 but that didn't solve the problem)

(Oh and as a test, I conncected the computer directly to the NAS, circumventing the network altogether. That also didn't help)

(Oh and I tried using a different computer. Problem remained.)

(Oh and I copied the file, as a test, to a extern USB-harddisk. That took only 2 hours)

Input appreciated!

Rob 

Message 1 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Slow data transfer

Hello Robvoorwinden,

When you are copying to the NAS, are there any other apps running on the NAS at the same time? Are there any backup jobs running too?

Also, what type of files are you copying? And what file protocol are you using to copy?

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could also be useful if you send the logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 3 of 9
Robvoorwinden
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

>Also, what type of files are you copying?

Thanks, you've put me on the right track. I was trying to copy my iTunes library, 125 gig, wich would take ages. As a test, I tried copying a video-file (98 gig), which - as I write this - is transfering with 11.7 MB/sec. Not bad at all! Looks like the problem is in the iTunes library, somehow. Does that make sense?

Best regards,

Rob

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Robvoorwinden,

That must be the problem, then.

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are both your NAS and Mac reporting a gigabit (1000 Mbit) ethernet connection?

The speed you are getting is around what you would get when maxxing out a 100Mbit ethernet connection.

Message 6 of 9
McRob1
Luminary

I was having the same problem with slow data transfer.  Firmware 6.4.1 and 6.4.2-T59 Beta.

Went back to Firmware 6.4.0 and all is back to normal again.

NAS 516

Message 7 of 9
Robvoorwinden
Aspirant

Thanx for the input.

After much tweaking, I'm now getting a 10 MB/sec transfer speed. That's good enough.

The problem seems to be in the iTunes library-file. That file takes ages to transfer. Other files (just as big) are transfering much faster. The reason for this? Beats me...

And the new firmware didn't cause the problem in this case. I had the same problem with the old firmware, that's why I upgraded to 6.4.1.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

Message 8 of 9
McRob1
Luminary

I went back to firmware 6.4.0 on my ReadyNas 516 and that solved the slow data transfer, even with antivirus turned ON.

You might try downgrading your firmware back to 6.4.0.

It worked for me.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements