× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Who's running 6.4.0 beta?

nsne
Virtuoso

Who's running 6.4.0 beta?

Just curious as to who's currently running the 6.4.0 beta and on which model (including legacy)?

I was thinking about taking the plunge, as I've been pretty intrepid when it comes to other betas, but something about this major point release (6.2.x -> 6.4.x) seems a little more serious and risky than usual.

Message 1 of 33
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Who's running 6.4.0 beta?

Unless you have a test system, that does not contain your primary data, it is probably unwise to run any beta.  This is particularly true of 6.4.0 where it would not be possible to downgrade.

I don't have the luxury of a test or backup system running OS6 so I am not running the beta.   I've never seen any need to run OS6 on my legacy units.

Message 2 of 33
cpu8088
Virtuoso

i am now running 6.4.0 beta 4 on 312 and 2120 v2

the new kernel and full utilization of memory on 2120 v2 are great. notice the improvements in sound quality while playing music flac files

my 2120 v2 is my working nas while my 312 is the backup. also i have external hdds as 3rd copies. feel pretty safe playing with betas.

initially i tried beta 2 but there were a few problems with networking. and then beta 3 gave me more problems, namely 1) disk faulty led lights showing red on 2120, so i had to down install to beta 2 and then from beta 2 i could flash back to 6.3.5.

for 2120 with beta 4

1) i still cannot set network bonding to adaptive load balancing. this is not a problem with 312

2) data thru network does not show with led blinking. the front 2 blue led lights just solid.

3) on main admin gui the picture of the unit still showing a desktop nas not a rackmount nas. this is not the case with 6.3.5.

Message 3 of 33
Rootax
Luminary

I'm running 6.4 Beta 3 on my legacy devices, no problem so far. But I didn't have any problems with 6.3.5 either.

Message 4 of 33
vandermerwe
Master

@cpu8088 wrote:

i am now running 6.4.0 beta 4 on 312 and 2120 v2

the new kernel and full utilization of memory on 2120 v2 are great. notice the improvements in sound quality while playing music flac files

cpu8088

I don't see why or how the kernel and memory changes would influence sound quality when playing flac files.  The sound quality is going to be related to the hardware (especially the DAC) that is playing the file, assuming there are no network issues and the data is getting to the player.  

Could you explain?

Message 5 of 33
cpu8088
Virtuoso

it is the latency and smoothness of transferring data

nuiances, bass tightness, clarity of trebles, dense mids. all these improved with new kernel.

u may try and report back

similar to playing those audio files stored in a spinning hard drive and from ssd. there are sonic differences

Message 6 of 33
CLHatch
Luminary

@cpu8088 wrote:

nuiances, bass tightness, clarity of trebles, dense mids. all these improved with new kernel.

u may try and report back

similar to playing those audio files stored in a spinning hard drive and from ssd. there are sonic differences

There should be no differences.  Hard disks should be plenty fast enough to keep up with the bitrate.  I think you are suffering from something similar to a "pacebo effect," thinking there would be a difference, and so "hearing" that there is.

Message 7 of 33
cpu8088
Virtuoso

if u have tried and listen not hear then you will notice the differences

similarly a toyota can do 180km/hr like a ferrari can

but the acceleration is different from a toyota to a ferrari. of course you can sit inside a toyota and say it feels like a ferrari. lol

Message 8 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:

If there were dropouts due to the NAS not keeping up, you'd have heard them (nothing subtle).  I'll buy that the latency might be a bit better.

I agree with vandermerwe that these are just in your head.  If the NAS were decoding/processing the flac the new kernel could perhaps make some difference.  But the NAS just delivers the compressed bits.

@cpu8088 wrote:

similarly a toyota can do 180km/hr like a ferrari can

but the acceleration is different from a toyota to a ferrari. of course you can sit inside a toyota and say it feels like a ferrari. lol

Your DAC, amp, and speakers are the car.  

Message 9 of 33
didbox
Tutor

6.4.0 beta 4 installed. All is OK except that I cannot access my NAS via readycloud-test2.netgear.com. I followed the procedure but I cannot connect to my NAS (ReadyNAS Pro 6). But OK, it's not really a problem for me.

Message 10 of 33
didbox
Tutor

I still found a strange thing: when I shut down my Pro 6, the orange led of the network card remains on constantly. Is it normal?

Message 11 of 33
didbox
Tutor

@didbox wrote:

I still found a strange thing: when I shut down my Pro 6, the orange led of the network card remains on constantly.

Hi,

No one for this problem? I did not have it with 6.3.5 RC2

Message 12 of 33
cpu8088
Virtuoso

when transmitting data does the kernel do anything?

i thought the kernel will have a role in handling i/o, raid method and priorities. just like in pc the windows system will handle i/o.

Message 13 of 33
didbox
Tutor

Sorry, but I do not understand your answer...

My question is just why after a shut down of my Pro 6 the orange led of the network card continue to flash very quickly (and never stop to flash)?  Before update to 6.4.0 beta, this problem does not exist.

Message 14 of 33
Rootax
Luminary

Maybe Wake On Lan has been activated with 6.4.0 ? When it is, the nic stay up at 100mb when the Nas is powered off. You can check that in the "power" menu.

EDIT : sorry, didn't see the last post. So the problem is the constant activity. Only the nas is very active, or you other network equipement too ? Maybe something is broadcasting like crazy ? I don't encounter this problem on 6.4 beta 3.

Message 15 of 33
didbox
Tutor

@Rootax wrote:

Maybe Wake On Lan has been activated with 6.4.0 ? When it is, the nic stay up at 100mb when the Nas is powered off. You can check that in the "power" menu.

EDIT : sorry, didn't see the last post. So the problem is the constant activity. Only the nas is very active, or you other network equipement too ? Maybe something is broadcasting like crazy ? I don't encounter this problem on 6.4 beta 3.

Thank you for your answer.

Wake On Lan is desactivated.

Yes, the NAS (at least the NIC) is in constant activity even when it is powered off. Very strange...

Message 16 of 33
Rootax
Luminary

Can you try a "stupid" thing, just to determine if there is traffic, or just the led going crazy ? When your nas is powered of, disconnect the rj45 cable and see If the blinking is still present.  In any case, I can't do anything, netgear techies need to look at it 😮

Message 17 of 33
didbox
Tutor

When the RJ45 is removed, no more activity.

Message 18 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@didbox wrote:

Another crazy thought. If you disconnect your router from the internet, does the activity stop?

I think this is leading to the idea that there is continous inbound traffic going to your NAS (and that the led is showing that even though the NAS is off).  If so, you should figure out where this traffic is coming from.  

Message 19 of 33
Rootax
Luminary

But still, when the nas is powered off without WoL, it should power off the nic too, traffic incoming or not.

Message 20 of 33
didbox
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@didbox wrote:

Another crazy thought. If you disconnect your router from the internet, does the activity stop?

I think this is leading to the idea that there is continous inbound traffic going to your NAS (and that the led is showing that even though the NAS is off).  If so, you should figure out where this traffic is coming from.  

If I disconnect my router from the internet, the activity of the NIC continue when the NAS is powered off..

Message 21 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@didbox wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@didbox wrote:

If I disconnect my router from the internet, the activity of the NIC continue when the NAS is powered off..

Ok.  That means the traffic isn't coming in from outside your network.

Try disconnecting all the local ethernet devices, and see if that changes the activity.  If it does, try adding them back one at a time so you can find which one is the source.

Message 22 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Rootax wrote:

But still, when the nas is powered off without WoL, it should power off the nic too, traffic incoming or not.

Should of course is the key word, this being beta firmware running on an unsupported platform.  

I've never looked at the NIC leds on my Pro when it was powered down, so I don't know for certain what the 4.2.x behavior here is.  LEDS being lit on "off" equipment doesn't sound right though.

But it is on, and showing unexpected traffic.  So there are two things to look into - one is where the traffic is coming from, the other is why the LED is on in the first place.

Message 23 of 33
Rootax
Luminary

Yeah yeah I totally agree.

I just mean that, maybe there is no logical explanation (legit network activity, etc), and like you say, it's a bug in this beta, nothing more.

Message 24 of 33
didbox
Tutor

After removing all devices connected to my router the orange led of the NIC is still on with the NAS powered off.

I think it's bug in 6.4.0 beta 4, at least with the Pro 6. We need help of someone from Netgear.  Skywalker / mdgm, are you here?

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements